Help me build a milk machine.......

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Janelle, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Ok, don't know if this is OT, but I can't get into the OT forum (used to see it on the index page, it isn't there now).
    Anyway....I have been trying to figure out what I want in a milk machine over the last few months. I finally have settled on
    what I want, I just need some help on how to put it together.
    Because I am not milking a lot of goats right now, I have decided
    I want the belly milker from Hoeggers, I already have a Vacuum pump (Robinair 6 CFM)
    And I would like to be able to use that instead of buy another pump.
    Can I do this?? Or do I need this part??
    http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3616&cat=8&page=1

It is a pretty expensive part, can I build one on my own??
    Also, I know that this bucket doesn't have a pulsator on top, could I put one on a tube, and
    set it all up like this: http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1071&cat=215&bestseller

I need someone in the know to help me here, I know someone else on this forum (don't remember who)
    bought the hoegger bucket & set it up w/o buying the whole set up, so I know it can be done.
    Thanks everyone for all the help!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK your vacume pump has it's own motor...ie you plug it in and it sucks on it's own? If it does all you need to add to it is a regulator and a dail so you know how many pounds of pressure you are pulling (12)...which is the dial thing in the picture you sent, they cost under $25. Your vacume pump then also has a port that sucks air. And sometimes a few other ports (screw looking things you can back out, now not the one you add oil to. One you can put a muffler on, and then the one that sucks you attach your hose bib to to connect to your lid.

So what you want is a small piece of pipe that screws into the port, to it you connect your regulator, this screws down or out to control the pressure your vacume makes, and the dial simply tells you how much pressure.

I can get all the parts at Lowes or Home Depot, perhaps you will get lucky and one of thier master electricians who run the departments at homedepot will be there. You can simply tell him you need a regulator to regulate the vacume and you need a dail to read the vacume, and he will sell you the parts and tell you where on your machine they screw into?

Vicki who is the most unmechanically minded person around but figured this out :) Vicki

3. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Yes, it has it's own motor, just plug it in & it sucks air.
    Ok, so this is making more sense. I think I am just making it seem harder than it really is. I just hate to put money out &
    really screw up :)

So, here are my other questions.....the pipe I get, is it PVC? Is it the balance tank that I put the dial & regulator on? Or do I need a balance tank & a separate pipe w/ the regulator/dial on it?

If I don't need to buy that $400 piece of metal from Hoeggers, this will be a lot more affordable than I thought. :)

Thanks Vicki for your help, I really appreciate it!

4. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Oh, yeah, where should I put the pulsator?? On a tube like in the Hamby pic?? :/

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

You don't need all that stuff from Hamby.. (sorry Hamby.. :biggrin)

If I can find my pictures.. I will show you how mine is set up.

All it takes is about a foot long, 3 inch PVC tube.. and attach all your 'stuff' on that.
    You can get the PVC, end caps at any hardware store.. and screw in copper fittings at the same hardware store.
    I got my vaccume gauge at auto parts store.. under $5.. and it has a rubber nipple that slips right on a copper port coming off the PVC tube. You may can get a regulator there also. Mine is a wing nut spring thingy.

I also have a port that the pulsator is attached to... and there is a seperate vaccum port.

Give me a minute or two.. I'll have to upload pictures of mine to photobucket.

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Okay.. don't look at the surroundings. This was taken on short notice for a friend.. with mud and slushy everywhere. Not to mention my barn being roofed, a semi kitchen built. Anyway... here's my 'redneck' milker.. complete with milk crate and bungie.

Any questions.. PM me. I have a few more pics on hook up.

The tubes are taken off the teat cups and the belly pan.. and the hoses stay with the pump and PVC at the barn.
    Need I mention it is EASY clean up!!

If I can build this.. anyone can!!

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ok I have the exact same pump the robinair and I have a surge bucket milker that has it's own regulator. hubby built and air tank like the one above and put a pressure guage on it. and walla your done. Just look at Christines site

9. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

With a 7 gallon two goat bucket should I get a unit that does 4 CFM's or more?

10. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

You should have at least 3 cfm / bucket plus a little extra for knock offs. If your going to run just a single bucket milking 2 goats at a time you could get by with 4 cfm but you should probable go for 5 or 6 just so its a little easier or build yourself a bigger reservoir back up.

Ray

11. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Well the 6 CFM units are pretty decently priced, so I can go with one of those. What do you think about two stage? Needed?

12. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

13. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

You can usually get them cheaper on e-bay. You would still need to purchase your vacuum regulator and stop cock valve as well as your ballast reserve system piping. Sometimes you can get lucky and find one on e-bay with a vacuum gauge already on it.
    Ray

14. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Yes eBay has some cheaper ones, but I worry about the unit being refurbed by the guy selling it.

I think I can get most of that stuff local, but if not I will order online. Vicki is going to help me put everyting together.