Help Me before I haul this goat to the Sale Barn

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Hello Everyone,
    If anyone has some help or advice for me I would appreciate every bit of it. I have a doe that I have been battling scar tissue in her teat/mastitis for almost 3 months now. :ugh

Back at the beginning of December I gave her 3 tubes of Pirsue and 12cc of Bio-mycin over 3 days. Didn't help at all that I could tell. I also rubbed her udder with peppermint oil.

Soooo...I sent in a milk sample to LSU, they said that she had staph mastitis, they weren't sure what kind, and to treat it with pennicillin and ToDay. I've heard some questionable things about ToDay, but I had already tried Pirsue...so I decided to try ToDay. Did 6 tubes of ToDay and 6 cc of pennicillin over three days. Waited 4 days. I milked her out this morning, and nothing but ToDay came out. I think she's all the way dried up, (she hardly had any milk left at all) but probably still has mastitis. That side of her udder is hard and lumpy. What should I do now???? Kind of hard to send in a milk sample to LSU if she's basically dry...I'm thinking about just leaving her alone and seeing what happens. I really like this doe, but it's almost getting to the point that if she dies-oh well!
    She got this mastitis while I was trying to keep her teat open so it would heal. I just want to get her cured of mastitis so I can focus on beating the scar tissue once and for all, and getting her dried up for winter. By the way, she was bred yesterday too. Any help at all would be appreciated. I'm somewhat of a newbie so even basic information may be helpful. Thanks everyone, I have learned so much from this forum and appreciate all the help. :D

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you need to do as Vicki does now and use getomyocin (sp?? and a Vet RX) and pursue
    and hope for the best next freshening.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I would think that if all your getting out of your doe is Today, then her mastitis should be cleared up and she's dried up at the same time. However, you are not going to get rid of scar tissue quickly. Massaging everyday, preferably twice a day will help break it up, but this is going to take quite some time to do. I hate to say it, but your looking at a few more months of this.
    As for the penicillin, you need to keep that up no less than 5 days or your going to get resistance to the drug.
    Good luck with her!

4. Staph....ok no clue on what kind...Dry her up put about 3 tubes up that half. Then LEAVE IT alone...dont milk it back out of her. It takes up to 96 hours for the meds to be absorbed in the mammary tissue. With her being dry, treat again in about 2 weeks. But, this time use 2 tubes and 3 cc of a drug out of the sulfur family...genimyicin(sp), Oxytetracycline...something in that family. Just DONT use LA200. Its in that family but the carrier is acid...its really battery acid. Dont want that in the udder. Then wait a about a month and treat again with the 2 tubes and 3cc. But, be sure that you are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN when you do this. That is the main carrier for Staph is not being clean. I wear gloves, use lots of alcohol, and a good post dip. It helps also once you open the teat back up to dip for three days twice a day.

Scar tissue....is it at the end of the teat or up in the teat canal? If it is at the end of the teat that is easy to take care of, if up in the teat canal...then you have a little more of a problem. With any scar tissue at the end of the end(right behind the oriface) all you need to do is....roll it between the forefinger and thumb. Most of the time they dont like you doing this...but ROLL that sucker. After a few times it will feel gritty up in the teat canal. At that point you need to force out the tissue. So, grab ahold and PUSH it out. This is what they really dont like, it helps if they have milk in them to do it but I have done it on drys also. What will come out looks like a white kidney stone. You know you got it out cause most of the time there is a "pop". Keep this up for a couple of weeks. Then next time she freashens she will be a fast milker. What it is...its not really scar tissue...its a wax that combines with the calcium in the milk and forms a stone. The old timers call it milk stones...cause it will be rock hard.

Ken in MI

5. Liberty Alpines

Ken,

Thank you so much for your help and advice! I have a couple questions about what you recommended...when you said "tube" were you meaning to continue using ToDay tubes or some other drug? Also, you said to use three tubes-is that spread out over three days? 1 day?

Thanks for the info on scar tissue! I am anxious to try what you recommended. When you said to "keep doing this for a few weeks" did you mean to keep popping out the milk stone balls that will continue to grow back until hopefully after a couple weeks they'll learn they are not welcome and quite coming back?

Thanks for all your help to a newbie...nice to hear from the voice of experience. My vets seem to hardly know anything about dairy goats...and I've tried several different vets. So thanks again!!!

6. Liberty,

With the tubes...I have used Today/Tomorrow....Pirsue/Quartmaster...Cafi-lak/Cefi-dry all with good results. In most cases with any type of bad masitsis I will go for the Quartmaster BUT...that will not treat staph. The ones that will treat Staph...is the Today/Tomorrow and Cefi-lak/cefi-dry. It really depends on what I have on hand and the price difference between them...good goat she gets good meds....an ok goat...I will use the lesser of the two. When I said to use 3 tubes....put 3 tubes up her one right after the other. I am pay VERY close attention to be clean when I dry up anything. I have learned more time there is less when they freshen. Like yesterday I dried up 3 does and it took about 30 minutes for all three. What I do...is to pre-dip the teat. Wait about 1 minute..Rub the teat dip in and get it all really clean. Then strip out all the milk....pre-dip again. Get my things....wipe that one teat off with a paper towel....strip again....when no more milk is coming out I will hold the bottom of the teat between my forefinger and thumb, exposing the teat end. Then I though out those little alcohol wipes...I use rolled paper towels soaked in alcohol....take one of those...and wipe my fingers teat end sides of the teat just above the teat end(basically I get everything within an inch of the teat end). Then take the tube out of the warm water, pop the little end off(DONT take the whole cover off) Dip that in the alcohol...shake dry then insert into the half. Then on the following tubes....I just start at wiping with the teat end with the alcohol and insert. IF she kicks while doing anything and something might have touched the teat end...I start all over. Then after you put all the tubes in her....I wipe again with ANOTHER towel soaked in alcohol, and when I say wipe...I really mean SCRUB!!!! After that I post dip covering the whole teat. Clean up the area...post dip again....then wait a few minutes and post dip again. Then sometimes I will use a teat sealant if I know that I am done with her and she has not had a case of mastisis in the past. As Kaye said....the teat sealant is like latex paint. That is a really good way to look at it...its a glue that will come off in about 6 weeks. It just provides and barrier to where nothing can get into the udder. I use the IBA brand, but if you want to use it just ask for something like "stronghold". Stronghold is the name brand of it...but I am cheap.

With the rolling...you need to work the tissue inside of the teat. There might be some stones that comes out the first few days...and then pop out everyonce in awhile. But, what you are doing is making sure that the scar tissue is not making its way in the the muscle. The teat canal is a muscle that causes pressure in the udder and then helps with putting out the milk. Its like cutting the side of your finger. If you dont move that finger then when it heals it will heal the shortest length possible. So, what you are doing is streching out the muclses and tissue, making sure that it does not grow shorter on you. This is the ONLY way when you get a step on teat that she will not be a slow milker afterwards.

If the scar tissue is far up into the teat canal then you can have it cut out by the vet. I have had good luck with this on cattle. The have like a crochet hook that they put up there and shave off the scar tissue. Then you HAVE to be sure that you keep it opened and free moving. Most will use Dialitors to keep it open...then change at milking times and roll the teat around in the prep for milking. But, with this make sure you go to a dairy vet to have it done. I have seen where the vet cut a hole into the side of the teat because he was trying to get to much at once.

Ken in MI

7. Liberty Alpines

Ken,

Thanks! You've been so helpful...one question: how am I going to infuse her with Tomorrow and not milk it out, but rub and hopefully pop out the scar tissue at the same time? Seems like I'll be popping out Tomorrow! Any ideas? :?

8. Liberty,

You can do one of two things....wait to dry treat her or dry treat her and wait till she freshens and work on the scar tissue. You can still roll the teat end but just put any force behind it. That would help just making sure that the tissue does not grow shorter than you want. The big thing with the rolling is that all you are doing is keeping the tissue from contracting shorter than you want it. That is really all....was she a hard milker last lacation?

Ken in MI

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Not to hijack Ken's thread.... but this is what I use at dry off:
    http://www.farmeqpt.com/Equipment/Dry-off-teat-protection-sealant-germicide/

This is where I finally ended up finding it. I also bought it 2yrs. ago and price was $34/pint.
    http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/home.php?cat=13

A pint has lasted through two dry offs. It takes very little on the teat to cover it. It will last about 6 weeks on the teats. Generally, at about 2 mo. dry, I will clean the teat ends and re-apply.

It does stain the inside of the back legs on unclipped does and is a bright pink. Takes some getting used to. :really And it is like latex paint!
    I don't have a Westgro dealer in my state so I had to hunt for Dry-OFF.
    Kaye

10. Heck Kaye....I was the one that told you to start using it. You know also you can hijack me all you want...just make sure that I am a good seat.

Ken in MI

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl Yeah, I think I remember chewing your butt about my "pink legged" does!! Though it does add a little color to the brown/white goats! :p
    Kaye