Help, Little Goat Broke Leg

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by skeeter, Apr 5, 2020.

1. skeeter

skeeter Member

Moved from Covid Discussion;

I’m not sure if this is how I’m suppose to post... but I’m looking for assistance with a goat with a broken hind leg... it’s a definite break.. I’ve got it wrapped now, headed out to get finger splints to use... my question is how do I set it?? Just line the bones k up??
    Also give antibiotics?? I’ve given banamine orally, Will give IM when I back with my other supplies... the skin is not broken, right above the last joint before the hoof.,. Any tips/advice etc please feel free...thank you

@Charity

2. CaramelKitty

CaramelKitty Member

Honesty I have no clue how to treat it but I would highly recommend moving over to a forum called TheGoatSpot. There are a lot more people there who can give you some great advice. :)

3. Angelia Gregg

Angelia Gregg New Member

Caramelkitty I really wish you would go away. To the person with the goat with a broken leg, how old is it and how did it break it? Antibiotics, probably not, banamine OK for pain, but remember it is really hard on the kidneys. Not to be used for more than 3 days. Homeopathic remedies can help. Are you sure it is a break and not a strain? Comfrey leaves work great for ligament and tendon issues, ice helps as well, to keep down the swelling. Most of the pain is from the swelling. Isolating the goat, as long as it doesnt get stressed from being alone would help.

4. CaramelKitty

CaramelKitty Member

In my defense, nobody helped or responded for a long time, so this person never really got the answer they needed until yesterday, if they didn't give up on this forum a while ago. On the forum I recommended, they would've gotten help in a day. There are more people on this forum now, so I suppose people will get help now. I'm sorry if I offended you, I was just trying to do what I could.

5. Angelia Gregg

Angelia Gregg New Member