HELP ! ! Kidding 2 weeks early! What to do?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by haeema, Feb 18, 2008.

1. haeema

haeema New Member

:help I went out to look at my girls around noon. To my suprise, one doe was humped over pushing when she was going to the bathroom. I checked and she isn't due for another 2 1/2 weeks. :/ She labored pretty hard until about 2 hours ago and hasn't pushed since. There was only a little bit of blood and mucus when she would push. Now, what do I do? :crazy When should I worry? I gave all my goats Ivermectin Injected SQ yesterday and I read up on it before I did. Is this what has caused her early labor???/ PLEASE HELP ASAP!

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Are you sure she didn't get bred one heat cycle earlier? Is she uddered up?

3. haeema

haeema New Member

I bought her 10/07/2007 as an open doe & the lady said she was not with a buck. Her udder is sort of full in the back but not down in the front or in the teats. On October 8th, I saw my buck cover her 3 different times and we assumed she was bred. Based on my observations of her in standing heat, she is 2 1/2 weeks early.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Really the only thing you can do is keep an eye on her and be ready for her to kid if she is in labor. She could have been exposed at her old home and the lady didn't know it?? Maybe? If the kids come 2 1/2 weeks early they probably will not survive. That is too young for premature kids to make it. Be sure to go in after she kids and make sure she doesn't have any more in there. Maybe she is right on time and you'll have some pretty kids by tomorrow. If she is in labor too early, there is most likely a problem like a uterine infection. Take note on what the kids look like, if they are starting to decompose or slurried. If there is a problem like that with the kids then I would do a uterine flush and put her on antibiotic injections for about 5 days also. Let us know how things go. Hope she does o.k. for you.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She labored pretty hard until about 2 hours ago and hasn't pushed since. There was only a little bit of blood and mucus when she would push. Now, what do I do................

You mean she was actually pushing, not just grunting but pushing as in pushing a kid out? If she did push for 2 hours and now is doing nothing you should be worry about 1 and 1/2 hours ago. Lube up and go in and feel what is up. Is the doe acting normally now? Does don't push and push for 2 hours and then go on about her life like nothing has happened. They don't go into labor and out of labor...they go into labor and deliver kids, or stop because of malpresention, kids die and then she does. Please go check on her. Vicki

6. haeema

haeema New Member

Vicki, I checked her and I could only get one finger in and there was no blood on my glove. She is acting fine now. Could she have "Braxton Hicks" contractions like women do? My husband is my witness that she was actually pushing earlier. I know for certain that at least one kid is still alive because it kicked me when I put my hand on her side. I don't know how many she has. My husband thinks it could be early labor and said that hopefully she will dialate and have kids in the morning. I plan on checking on her several times thru the night.

7. Katarina

Katarina New Member

but they dilate THEN push, as far as I know,l not the other way around...

8. haeema

haeema New Member

I have checked her several times now and she's passing a little mucas. When I checked her earlier, I still couldn't get more than one finger. I'm at a loss......

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've been told that if you can feel the babies kick when you touch the doe's side, they are not yet in the birth canal. I'm wondering if the kids aren't presenting to be born and your doe isn't dilated, if she was maybe just straining to poop after she peed. Is she eating and otherwise acting normal?
    Kathie

10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

It's the blood and mucous that would have me thinking "aborting". at this point if you can't get your hand in to "look around" you can only do the waiting game unless you wake up a vet (that has to love you) with hysterical screams at this time of night and get an ultrasound done. sorry.

-Melissa

11. haeema

haeema New Member

No kids, nothing this morning, baby still kicking in belly, tired, going to bed

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

oh trudy, how often we see those words typed this time of year. Dern goats lol! I'm on my way out to check somebody not due till Sat, but I don't think she's gonna make it till then.

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I'm so glad that she didn't abort! I still wonder about that blood though. hopefully nothing happend to any other kid(s) she may be carrying. keep us updated Trudy!

-Melissa

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And ultrasound last week told my friend that his doe had a uterus full of dead kids and a massive infective mess. The doe was lute/dex and 36 hours later 3 healthy kids...:) Vicki

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:bang :duh :crazy2 .......yep that would be me if that happened here.
    Whim

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Guess that Vet might be a bit embarassed.:)

17. Cotton Eyed Does

I wouldn't try to go in her any more now that you have determined that she doesn't have a kid stuck in the birth canal, because just the act of pushing your hand inside her will make her want to push and could cause her to go into active labor. Could she have gotten whacked pretty hard by another goat? Is she passing berries o.k.? Is she getting plenty of fresh clean water to drink daily? What does her pee look like, clear, dark yellow?