help, info needed on meningeal worm, deer diseases

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

You all know about sis and bil moving back to the farm and building a new house on the back side of this 72 acres. I know I've mentioned it before. Like bil growing food plot for deer so he can hunt (hope wildlife/game people don't catch him...it is illegal to do that) anyway.....

They want to come of the front side where I live and tear down the old cow dairy barn (which is falling down anyway) and put up a new barn. They also want to provide a seperate milking area for the goats etc. They want to do it by Texas Dairy regs for grade "A" liscense...told them it was expenseive as h*ll well you know. Anyway they also want to go to one end of the barn and have a place to park their tractor and impliments, and he wants to put in a concrete floor with a drain and a place to hang and dress his deer :shocked I don't want this anywhere near the barn or the animals or humans....where is this blood draining too? I know deer can pass on the meningeal worm, and brucellosis...I asked why he couldn't do this c**p on his side! GRRRRRRR.

I think this is asking for lots of disease! I cannot get it through their thick heads that these goats need more room than just a couple of pens!!!!

Help me please. If any of you know of links to sites that would provide good info on deer disease passed on to humans/ animals though blood spillage or carcus handling anything that would give me "PROOF" of why this shouldn't be done around goats, horses, cows etc. I don't know where this is supposed to "drain" to....I guess the pasture :groan help please.

Also, there were some links to some pic's of goats that had meningeal worm, showing how they had bitten their sides etc. what happened to those pics?

TIA
    Sheryl

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sheryl.....I think you are jumping the gun myself. 1. I don't think hunting deer over food plots in TX is against the law....matter of fact, I think you can deer hunt over "feeders" out there.
    2. I dress a lot of deer out at my place, but it is done on the other end of my shop where my goats can't get to...and no run off goes towards my goat pens either. I think with just using a little common sense with the process, that you will have little danger passing on anything.
    I personally wouldn't want to dress out any meat where my other animals (like goats) have been sleeping and pooping all the time. He should rethink his skinning/dressing area, as I would want mine to be isolated off to a more cleaner area. BTW- No way you could ever go grade A is meat is being processed in the same place.
    3.Somebody wants to build me a "grade A barn" :rofl ......well, tell the ole boy to stop dragging around and get-r-done.
    4. From what I understand about the worm....you are at greater risk from live deer walking around on your browse grounds, than you are from dead deer.....so tell him to be sure on thin the deer out well if he sees them in areas where your goats graze.

It looks like you two could come to some agreement in regards to enough "goat room" and deer processing/equipment storage areas. He needs to be very careful as to where he stores his food plot seed and fertilizer, just in the same way that you are careful with where you store your feed.

This project could benefit both of you...but you need to work together now before the barn is built, to where you both get what you need to work with.

JMO.....Whim

3. Rose

Rose New Member

Food plots are not illegal in Texas, as mentioned above.

Somebody needs to put BIL in his place. You need to have YOUR plans that aren't influenced or affected by his.

You don't do butchering and milking in the same place.

Get the Texas milk laws. I figured it would be about $50,000 to build a compliant milk house for Grade A standards.

http://secure.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=4&ti=25&pt=1&ch=217

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol And I think BIL will find out that his plans won't fly when it comes to the Grade A milk parlor. No way are they going to let him use the same barn for his "other" intentions.
    Kaye

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Sheryl, hang in there. A lot of this may be the stress of your space being invaded. Your territory is being encroached upon. I feel your pain.

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Thanks all. I really don't care if he does the food plot thing on the back side in the woods by where he lives. I don't care if he hunts the critters, I don't care if he butchers them. I just don't want it done on this side of the acerage where I am and by the barn, near the barn, near the goats, and near the 4 yr old etc etc. Deer blood run off into the pasture where the horses and goats are and off and on cows is not my idea of a "good idea" I see brucelosis, lyme disease (ticks), meningeal worm, and future cwd of deer. I just don't want my goats grazing where the blood run off is. I don't want my grandbaby to run out in the pasture where blood run off is. I feel that if he wants to butcher his own deer, then he can build a building with a drain on his side by his house!!! I was told by a deer person that it was a fine line on the food plot deer thing. I'm not sure what they ment, cause I looked at Texas deer hunting laws, and I couldn't find anywhere where it was illegal to have a food plot and hunt deer???

I do know that the person I know that hunts and has a deer processing facility (by TX dpt of health standards) said the deer plot would also bring in racoons, and other rodents.

Guess what I've lived here 7 yrs and never had a problem with coons in my barn....now I have coons coming in the barn stealing eggs, and dog food, and tearing up the place. grrrrrrr.

Well I told my sis in an email that if I had no choice (since I am constantly reminded that "they" own the place) yes my daddy is still alive, but because he hates my husband, I get nothing in his will, it all goes to my sister who is 12 yrs younger than me, that if they insisted on doing the deer processing in the barn, beside the barn, on the other side of the barn, not to waste her money on having a barn that passes inspection of grade "A", that we just wouldn't do the dairy thing. I really don't want a grade "A" thing going on, but they are about to have a cow over my selling raw milk with out a permit.

I do know that brucelosis can be passed on by deer blood, and I told her that if it happened, and contaminated the soil, then she could forget dairy going on here, and just about forget rasing livestock, cause I don't know how you get it out of the soil once it is there.

Anyway, I have told myself that I'm not losing any sleep over it. If it happens the way they want, then I guess I could just sell off all the goats and not worry about it.

We'll see,

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the support

Sheryl

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Oh Sheryl, so sorry for the family-problems-land-issue-thingy, that would just rip me apart.

SCREAM! <----Thought that might help :crazy

8. Rose

Rose New Member

Trying the link again:

http://secure.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=4&ti=25&pt=1&ch=217

Edited to add: For some reason, the system won't take the whole thing as a link. However, if you copy the whole link above and paste it into your browser, it will work that way.

Sorry!