Help! How to wash goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I need help. My Mini Nubian buck has frozen pee all over his belly. :sigh How do I go about washing it? What do I use? It is really cold here and I don't have heat in my barn. His whole body is really kinda oily from peeing all over himself since fall. :sniffle

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

You know, I never really thought about this...since I do live in the south.
    But, I'd not bath him in your frigid weather...then he's cold all over. I'm pretty certain it's no big deal to him, he's got what we call cashmere (undercoat) under that long,nasty frozen hair and it's keeping him warm. If his body heat is not melting it...then he's safe. Think sheep and snow on back. If you get his cashmere wet, then he's open to the elements.

Besides, we just generally let the bucks be until Spring and clip all that long nasty hair off. He's out of rut and hopefully has stopped urinating on himself.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Like you wash a car :) Or bring him in the shower :)

Just simply wash off his belly and forelegs, which gets most of the attention from his urine stream, dry it some and then spray on chlorhexideen and wipe it again with a rag. That's all my bucks get during rut each month when their feet are trimmed. They don't get a bath and shaved until spring. Nothing you do will stop him from urinating all over himself, so just learn to love him anyway, stinky, sticky and dirty. Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I would leave him alone til spring myself

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You could take some scissors and carefully trim any long hair away from his penis area, but as far as bathing him I would just leave him alone. As soon as you get him all nice and clean he is gonna start peeing all over himself again.

6. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

The poor thing didn't make a thick coat like the girls did.I worry that he might get too cold. I try to keep a thick bed under it but he paws it all up in a pile. :sigh He is so wet but the stink has gone, or at least I don't smell it anymore.
    Vickie, What is chlorhexideen? Oh I have so much to learn. :blush2

Wendy

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's this wonderful blue, lotiony disenfectant, you can buy it from your vet or jeffers. I keep it, and furall and really nothing else, for cleaning wounds, cleaning udders, sores on udders, disbudding, scarpes, scrathes, staph. I keep it in a spray bottle. Vicki

8. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Thanks Vickie. I will add it to my ever growing list of things to have on hand.

9. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Yeah, on warm days all that "stuff" melts off. Just make sure he has lots of dry bedding to lay in and he'll be o.k.

If he seems cold, maybe give him more hay to eat?