HELP! GOAT HAS LOST HER MIND!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

My FF that was suposed to be due last week is attacking every goat in the pen.
    I mean really attacking! She is not getting ready to kid as she still has ligs and her udder is still the same as it has been for a long time.
    She does not look pregnant either.
    I think she is going to be due July 9th. February 10th I saw her bred several times.

I let her out along with all the others this morning and she promptly penned the youngest to the wall grinding her head into poor Stormy. I grabbed Stormy and Penni ran to the other kids and hit them all hard.
    When their Dams came to the rescue she attacked them. Even her own Dam. She went after Molly next. Molly is the herd queen but she caught her off guard and sent her rolling and then kept hitting her hard and poor Molly was crawling on her knees trying to get away.
    I tried to catch her and she ran around the pen very fast with her hair on end butting everyone in her path.
    It took me forever to catch her and drag her kicking and twisting to her stall and locking her up again.
    I can't leave her there forever.
    What in the world has gotten into her?

2. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Corky,

Mine have all kidded, but when they were pregnant they were all meanies. I think it was hormones or the way the moon, earth and sun lined up or something. I don't remember them being mean last year or the one before that. One good note is that after they kidded, they all returned to normal.

Vicki in NC

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep hormones and if she is that mean then she needs a pen of her own or your going to have someone hurt real bad.

4. Oh I have one like that......except she's just like that all the time. She has the nickname b**** for a reason. Lol.

I'd agree though, its hormones. Hannah is a bit grumpy to. lol

5. Corky

Corky New Member

OK, I kind of figured it was hormones but why now?

I let the others go to pasture and put the littlest one in a stall alone and let her out.
    She went nuts again. Running and jumping and screaming her head off because the others were gone. She kept trying to jump the fence so I had to drag her butt back into the stall.
    I hate doing that but I can't let her hurt the babies or Molly who is still having calcium problems or herself either.
    TALK ABOUT PMS!

6. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Our Alpine herd queen is mean like that... UGH! She has a nice name, (Nina) but she is our oldest doe (7) and because of the way she treats the others, we nick-named her "Ramma-Gramma." She is a NASTY old lady to other adult goats, but is sweet as can be to people. She is just a horrid bully... pregnant, or not. She goes WAY out of her way to just ram anybody else as hard as she can, into the wall... grrr. Maybe it IS hormonal.. as she is an older gal... maybe she could use estrogen therapy? ;)
    We have her in lockdown (a separate pen) until our last doe goes into the kidding pen..(who is due a week from today.) I am convinced that ole Ramma-Gramma caused one FF to abort, and another to have a full term kid born dead. Fortunately, this old bat is good with all of the babies... and acts like an old Gramma with em. The babies can go in and out of her pen, and they do... and she plays with them gently. Go figure! I hope your nutty girl settles down for ya!

7. coso

coso Guest

Yep, those hormones can sure mess things up. I try to stay out in the barn all I can at a certain time of month. Ohhhhh! we are talking about goats here aren't we? not wives??? :rofl :rofl Sorry couldn't help myself. :biggrin :help2

8. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

My LaMancha is a little witch at times, too. She's the only LaMancha here, but is the herd queen, no doubt. She has ear envy of the Nubians, I'm pretty sure :lol . She is an ear biter, and has put poor Sugar (my youngest Nubian doe) down more than once, butting her into walls and corners. I've had to separate them at times because she's so rough on her. She gets along pretty well with Cinnamon, who is older than she is, but they have a "distance" relationship - they keep out of each other's way most of the time. I've also noticed, lately, that she's been more witchy than usual - and she's due in a month as well.

Kathy

9. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

10. susie

susie New Member

OHHHH_ NOw you're in trouble!!! :)

Susie

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I think all my hormones were removed years ago so I just stay bitchy most all the time:)
    Kathy my LaMancha is the same way the herd queen and a real PITA to all the adults most all the time but lets the youngins crawl all over her.

12. Corky

Corky New Member

I turned her out with the alpacas and the donkey so she could go to pasture too but she just stood at the goat fence and bawled for her Mama that she had just beat up.
    Poor Stupid, confused goat. I hope I am wrong about her July due date and she kids earlier. She is driving me. :crazy

13. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Prozac???

(the goat, not you Corky!!!)

14. Corky

Corky New Member

:rofl
    Me, maybe. The goat needs a new home I am thinking.

I let her out today and later the others ans she got in line for the meadow like a perfect lady. WHEW!

So about a half hour later I see the goats all running to the barn and molly was headed off and got caught in the corner by the buck pen. Her sweater was half off and the sleeves were dragging and she was tripping on them and screeming for her life while little miss Penni was beating the stuffing out of her and her Mom was helping.

I think Molly has been pushed to the very bottom of the pecking order now.
    I grabbed the B---h and put her back in her stall to screem her head off for the rest of the day and fixed Mollys sweater and let them back out.
    She is doing a little better but has a long way to go.
    It is cruel how animals turn on the weak.

15. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Awwwww. I hate seeing mine fight but don't know that we've had anything so severe. Except for the bucks. Our nubian and kinder got into it once really bad and the big ole nubian lost. I was surprised 'cause the kinder is smaller and nicer unless provoked but he held his own. The nubian ended up with an injured ear and eventually lost half of it. :/ I need pens on opposite corners of the property when those bucks are in rut.

16. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I would try taking a good stiff green switch to her. Just stripe her butt good when you catch her doing that and see if a switching will help her adjust her attitude. Maybe she needs somebody to put her in her place.

17. Corky

Corky New Member

I don't think that will help. It is like she is out of control when she does this.
    When I dragged her into her stall she was breathing very hard.

Molly was in better shape as far as breathing was concerned.

I am just glad it is not hot out.
    I really think this doeling would run herself too death.

The thing is, I have thought of going out to pasture with them till she calms down but she runs too fast for me and the others do too trying to get away from her.
    I can't keep her from getting to them.

I have never had a goat act like this before.
    Yes, they butt each other to make a point and I scold them but this is premeditated homicide in her eyes. It just started too. :help2

I did not plan to keep her anyway. I just wanted to freshen her before I sold her.
    It may be silly as I am no expert but I fear that the buyer would just put her in a pasture to kid by herself.
    Being a FF she will probably need help.

18. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Well, I could take her. I have a whole herd of that kind!! :biggrin
    Then I have some sweet, sweet does that are my other herd!
    We're a two herd family. :rofl
    I sure wish I was joking!
    Andi

19. Corky

Corky New Member

Today I finally put the goats back in their pen and shoved her out with the other animals.

Tonight when I went to do chores, one of them had figured out how to open the gate and Molly was contentedly eating herbs on the hill and Penni was in the goat yard playing with the babies like a little angel. The gate was wide open and the donkey was in there and tha alpacas. The little goat that gets under everyones feet and gets stepped on was playing on the tunnel with the other kids and everyone was just fine. GO figure!