HELP for a Newbie! Sick 3 year old Mini-Mancha Buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

:help

I just brought home a gorgeous 3 year old 3 gen Mini-Mancha buck. I am so excited with what he brings to my herd.

I am quite worried, I have had this buck for almost four weeks. I noticed yesterday he was not as active as he has been. At first I thought it was just the affects of the rut and he was worn out. As I watched him, I noticed that his stool was quite soft. Later in the day I noticed he had diarrhea.

He has been eating (just a little he is distracted with the rut) and drinking yesterday he was up and active in the afternoon and evening.

Three days ago he got into the chicken feeder and at a quart or so of cracked corn, other than that I am unaware of anything that has changed in his routine.

This morning I went out to the buck pen and called his name, usually he comes and visits with me for a minute, I could not find him this morning. He was laying in the corner leaning against the barn. There is diarrhea around him, he looks weak and he seems to be slowly twitching.

Help! What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

GET him to the VET NOW!!
    get his temp and make sure you get it up he needs fluids and fluids now then worry abt what is wrong with him but imagin he is not into entro and sorry to say probably wont' make it.

If he were here and no vet available I would throw the book at him right or wrong which would be
    malox, malanta, or pepto to coat the stomach/ CD ANTITOXIN/ probios / B Complex/ Banamine / and Thiamin (B1)
    No grain what so ever and only alfalfa hay or grass hay and alfalfa pellets.
    Lactated ringers if he won't drink.

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks for the response. I treated him with Probios, I was very worried I have been watching him close. Unfortunately there are no good large animal vets around. However I have a close friend who is a vet.

The buck is doing better now he is up and walking around, he is chewing his cud so, I assume his rumen is still functioning.

I hope I did not overreact, his 'twitching' after further review was just him keeping the flies off.

Funny I brought the does close to his pen and he perked right up. He is moving about browsing and seems much better.

I am still worried about the diarrhea.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks so much Sondra!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK if he is up walking around then don't give any pepto right now as the diarreah was probably cause by the chicken corn he ate and he needs to get rid of it. Just make sure he is drinking and don't give anymore grain for a couple days. more probios and keep a ck on his temp.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Three days ago he got into the chicken feeder and at a quart or so of cracked corn, other than that I am unaware of anything that has changed in his routine.

You simply can't expect to have a long profitable business with goats if you don't do certain things. Setting management that you do 100% of the time, each time, everytime.

When new animals come in, they should have their feet trimmed out of their pen so no worm eggs under the horn is in thier pen to infect other goats. Wormed, cocci treated if young, re vaccinated, and slowly intoduced to the diet they are on. In quaranteen pull blood and test for CAE, and while in quaranteen wait for tell tail signs of CL. Give them a good once over, I shave them.

If you do not have your grain for the whole farm behind a door a 3 year old child can't get into than your goats will one day eat and bloat and get acidosis and die. I can guarnatee you this. IF you have azales or other poisious foundation plants around your house, one day your goats will get out and eat some and some will die. IF you have dogs who are not good with the goats, even tied, even locked only in the house, one day...well you get it :)

When a goat does get into feed like this..you have to weigh quickly what you are going to do, wait and watch which then leaves you really no options later on if they are bloated or acidotic..or treat. Treating means filling the rumn with any oil, it means probios and baking soda for days and stealing cud.

If he is ruminating you may be out of the woods with him. No grain period until he is 100% only good grass hay. Vicki