Help for a goatling! . . . Best Dairy Goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, May 28, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

My family recently started looking into the prospect of getting a dairy goat or two. We live in Ogden, Utah on 3 acres, although we have never raised goats we are not new to livestock.

We have 5 children ranging in ages 10 -2. Our interest in Dairy goats is solely for personal use. We have heard from some that goats can be difficult, stubborn and mean.

Given the fact that we have two Russel Terriers (small dogs) and five children and we don't intend to sell milk cheese or other products, what would be the ideal goat for our situation?

I am intrigued by the LaManchas because they seem gentler than the Nubians. I also have some interest in the Nigerian dwarf??? As I read they are friendly and that their milk has a high fat and protein content and may provide enough milk for our family.

Please advise!

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have both breeds and the first thing you want to check is the udder and teats ...some Nigi's have very tiny teats and its hard on the hands. I have also had alpines and love thier milk also My La Mancha gives 1 1/2 gals a day milking 2x a day. I have milked my Nigis and dont get as much but enough ...also you will need more than 1 goats as they are herd animals and dont like being alone. Different breeders have different comments on themilk . I think its just personal preference...It all tastes good. Good luck

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

For a family of 7 I don't think ND is the way to go tho I have them and mini's but the amount of milk you get you need to have 6 or 8 to feed your family I think. So if I were just to have 2 dairy goats (which is a must you must have 2) then go with the LaMancha or the Nubian in my opinon. I love them both and they are both sweet and lovable The Nubians are just louder. You will get more milk out of a LaMancha than a Nubian but Nubian milk is higher butterfat.

4. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I am also looking at feeds. I have an acquaintance who suggests that he feeds his goats a lot of bread he gets for free from the bakery outlets??? I can't imagine that would be healthy for the goats and condusive to good milk production. You could get away with feeding pigs this way but goats???

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

minimanchas!

cross between lamanchas and nigerians. 3/4 the milk as a standard sized dairy goat on 1/2 the feed. Temperament of a lamancha and the nice udder and full sized teats as well. smaller size, easier to handle. I think that if you dont care to show or sell breeding stock that they are the perfect homestead dairy goat.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH I do to on the MM but yes you could also sell to small homesteaders like yourself for milk.
    as for feeding bread as a diet NO and NO NO NO. not healthy goats need a balanced diet and alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay plus grain in order to produce babies and milk

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:yeahthat I agree with SOndra there as flour products have to be pushed from their stomachs by other foods to get it out...Not good to feed bread ...

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

need to clarify grain starts at 100 days bred and gradually increased until freshening. dry does get alfalfa pellets and grass hay here.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Nobody had death from donuts here this winter :) I fed day old bread products, now they weren't molded or nasty, just out of date, and they would get a donut package and I would eat the other. We all put on 20 pounds together :) Other than the lard, bread and products like that are full of energy, carbs and of course animal fat (lard :) but none of my goats were worse for wear. We had too many kids born, are milking great, and if we didn't have to deal with the humidity and mold here (you can only pick up bread on your time each week and I would have to get a fridge to keep the stuff from not molding from week to week in our summers) but up north, dang I bet it would be a bang up way to keep feed prices down. You don't feed it to them like you do hogs, it's all they will eat in 10 mintues or so, then it's all picked up and thrown to the hogs :)

But I digress.....LaMancha's or the cross with ND. The perfect size goat, docile as a whole, although of course you are going to spend some time with the goats you buy. Things like, my goats aren't particularly in love with men, they don't see them...my goats until I had grandkids, didn't like little kids in the barn, now they are being milked by an almost 3 year old. My goats are clingy needy to me which you can see as you leave the barn and they are peering over screaming at me. So when you go look at goats, make sure the person you are buying from is doing what you want to do...milking...alot of people milk for only 3 months. You want a doe who is used to being hand milked and that stays in production the whole year. Don't forget a buck, you have to have one or two perferably, to breed to.

Don't buy anything without us knowing:) Until you know what CAE is, CL is, you are not ready to buy. And no matter what pick a few of us as mentors and PM us with who you are buying and let us help, you do not want goats from some people.

Check out the 4sale section for those on the forum selling.

Good luck, goats are a wonderful addition to the farm! Vicki

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I only sell Alpines but my very first goats as a child were Lamanchas. I remember how very loveable and sweet they were. Alpines are too, but Lamanchas will always have a sweet spot in my heart. I would recommend you go with a couple of them. As was stated above and cannot be stressed enough... You need at least two. They are herd animals and can become very depressed without a herdmate.

You can either purchase a buck to breed your does each year OR find a reputable, disease-free herd near by with a buck that is good, to service your does.

Have fun!

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I know where so nice LaMancha's are north of Denver CO.

12. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I really appreciate everyones willingness to share. I don't anticipate that I would ever feed only bread products to the goats, however I may suppliment their diet with some bread (and save my pocketbook a little) I beleive in prudent husbandry, but the reality is I am raising children not goats, If you get my gist.

I called a local feed distributer last night and found alf alfa pellets for approx $9.00 for a 50 lb bag. It contains 16% protien. The distributer also mentioned another product he reccomends feeding to does in milk, the cost was closer to $16.00 per bag.

Any suggestions on feed. Is it best to feed pellets or to store bales of alf alfa? I found a local breeder, a guy out of Salt Lake.

Here is a link to his ad: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3290650&lpid=2&cat=107

I am interested in the mini manchas.

He has two does born this may they are 1st gen mm. I would like to get both. We are looking at going down possibly as early as tomorrow.

What types of things should I look for in the goats and the breeder?

Thanks again for your help!

13. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Good luck Daniel & enjoy them. Just know that goats are addictive :)......I intended to have only 3 :).....now I've lost count!

Mini manchas are great- I have just one as there are no shows near me & we enjoy showing a lot. Mine produces a consistant 7.5 pounds/day!

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ask abt CAE prevention and also what the dam is producing look at dam's teats and udder now. I dearly love my MM and they for the most part produce like Pam's you don't want teening tiny teats very hard to milk by hand. Hopefully they used a FB LaMancha dam and a ND buck for the breeding. not the other way around. IMO as I have had both you don't want it the other way around. Hopefully the kids will have gopher ears but in does elf ears are OK I perfer pellets to hay because of our costs down here and the hay isn't good .
    I mix my own grains for on the milk stand as I don't like pelleted grain. Also it is less exspensive for me and I know what is in it. Good Luck hope they are just what you want.

15. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Welcome to the forum.

I raise Lamanchas and Nubians and I am more fond of my LM than Nubians but I love them both. All of the above information is GREAT, just remember to ask questions the only dumb one is the one not asked.

Autumn

16. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks Sondra and others.

The dam is a full LaMancha and the sire a ND. I just called and asked about CAE and CL certifications. How rampant are these diseases among goats. Based on what I read neither are curable, is this correct? The mm's are registered with the TMGR, however I acknowledge this does not certify against disease.

The breeder reccomended a Maggidan milker to start does of when they come into milk next spring? Anyone ever used one how well do they work?

17. Terry

Terry Member

I milk my Lamancha does with a maggidans milker it only milks them half way out.
    Terry

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I simply wouldn't buy goats from someone who won't test. Is he willing to pull blood and test their dam if they were dam raised? I just hate to see you get started like this. I promise you, if he doesn't test, and feins no interest in it, or tells you that it isn't a problem, you will come home with goats...fall in love with them, because up there you won't be able to resist how freakin cute they are! Then you will come back on here, test and then find out they are positive for CAE.

The problem with CL is that at home on their own farm most CL positive goats rarely have another abscess. So you can feel of all his adults and not feel one abscess yet move the goats to your hosue and the stress of the move you have an abscess pop up.

And this person may be the best person in the world and simply doesn't know he should be testing. Or he is one of the many used care salesmen type goat dealers.

Alfalfa hay is likely plentiful in your area, so you can disregard our alfalfa pellet feeding although Tracy is up in Idaho and feeds both. I would feed good clean whole oats before I would feed any sacked byproduct feed tag that was $16 :)

read read read...Vicki

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Please PM me with this persons name and herd name so I can do some checking for you. YOU DO NOT want CAE or CL period. and if he won't test then forget it. I can find you people that do test.

20. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Wow I am so impressed with the people on this forum, I can't say thanks enough to all of you for your willingness to help! Seriously it feels kinda like a family here! Thank you, thank you thank you!

In my earlier post I indicated that I called and asked about CAE and CL. I left a message on the answer maching, as no one was home. Sondra, I will get names and information tonight.

Are there any reputable breeders in the Utah area anyone would refer me to? Thanks again