Help! Floppy Kid?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Feb 8, 2008.

1. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

The droopy kid died. He never was right. He was in the twins where he tried to come head only. His brother came out shortly after he did with a front leg back. That kid hit the ground and was already starting to stand.
    They were born Sunday.
    Now the second born has become listless. He has respiratory issues to boot now. He is weak, crying, sloshy belly. I had him latched on and nursing a little yesterday. Dad could not get him to drink last night but he is not gaunted out.

He was given .5 cc of Tylan 50...and I am just now realizing I did my math completely backwards and he should have been given 8ccs....

I looked in the GoatKeeping 101 and I am just confused.
    I am going to give him some C&D Antitoxin and some Pink Bismuth. Should I do the Baking Soda as well? He is very progressed in this and I am grasping at straws but we have successfully brought back animals worse off than this.
    Should I give him Lactated Ringers solution? If so, how much at a time?
    I don't how much he weighs...easily less than ten pounds though I think.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

YES. One reason for FKS is delayed labor...stressful labor. tube him with it if he won't suck.
    Kaye

3. DostThouHaveMilk

We just tubed him with 1 ounce of Elecrtolyte with 1/2 TSP Baking Soda and then about 10ccs of Pink Bismuth as well.
    He's doing the death throws already so we aren't very hopeful at this point. He is chilled so he is in the house.
    I gave him 5cc of Antitoxin sub-Q.
    There are no dosages that I could find to tell how much Baking Soda to give for Floppy Kid just that you give it.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I've never seen an exact amount either. Everytime I ask the dose, even from goat vets...they say, 1/2-1 teaspoon in the bottle.??
    :lol no mg/kg..no ounces of milk, nothing...just 1/2-1 teaspoon. It works, so who am I to question the doses? I even HAVE injectable Sodium Bicarb for other reasons, and I can't find a mg/kg doseage to use it for FKS! :really
    Kaye

http://www.jvetintmed.org/perlserv/...2/0891-6640(2006)20[1003:FKSCBD]2.0.CO;2&ct=1

isotonic sodium bicarbonate solution intravenously, sufficient to replace the calculated base deficit [body weight (Kg) x 0.5 x base deficit] over 1-3 hrs.
    This one is interesting but, I am NOT running a blood sample to the vets to get a base deficit.

5. DostThouHaveMilk

Thanks!
    How often should we tube him with the Electrolyte/Baking Soda combo?
    He is still alive. His mouth is no longer cold. He has been having some involuntary spasming and crying, but appears to be sleeping comfortably now in my lap.

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We try to give baking soda every 1/2 hour, even if it is just a pinch in the mouth. Raising Meat Goats for Profit recommends you give at least a 3 day course of biomyicin as well (for the e-coli). Sue Reith also recommends an antibiotic for secondary infection as well as Bo-Se.

So we give baking soda every 1/2 hour at first, (then something more reasonable like every 2-3 hours when they look better), biomyicin, and Bo-Se. So far it has worked great.

7. DostThouHaveMilk

We tubed him about an hour again with more Baking Soda, more Pink Bismuth, and some ProBios (with a little bit of Electrolytes to go along with it). He was spasming before, somewhat during and after the treatment.
    He's resting again.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

make sure everything you put in him is warmed to body temp prior. 102 degrees
    Anytime I use CD ANTITOXIN I use it as 18 cc sq and 9 cc orally give every four hrs until better for entro.

Found the following on the net.

9. DostThouHaveMilk

Thanks for all the input. We lost him about 20 minutes ago.
    Now to figure out what to do about poor Bianca. She sure produces quite a bit of milk for being 1/4 Boer, 1/4 Saanen, 1/4 LaMancha/Alpine and 1/4 Pygmy.
    At the very least the kitties will be happy. I'm milking anywhere from 2 to 8 does once a day at this point (all but one has at least one kid on them...and I am drying off the doe who lost her kid).

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ah sorry you lost him.

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:sniffle so sorry you lost the little guy... :down