Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The droopy kid died. He never was right. He was in the twins where he tried to come head only. His brother came out shortly after he did with a front leg back. That kid hit the ground and was already starting to stand.
They were born Sunday.
Now the second born has become listless. He has respiratory issues to boot now. He is weak, crying, sloshy belly. I had him latched on and nursing a little yesterday. Dad could not get him to drink last night but he is not gaunted out.

He was given .5 cc of Tylan 50...and I am just now realizing I did my math completely backwards and he should have been given 8ccs....

I looked in the GoatKeeping 101 and I am just confused.
I am going to give him some C&D Antitoxin and some Pink Bismuth. Should I do the Baking Soda as well? He is very progressed in this and I am grasping at straws but we have successfully brought back animals worse off than this.
Should I give him Lactated Ringers solution? If so, how much at a time?
I don't how much he weighs...easily less than ten pounds though I think.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just tubed him with 1 ounce of Elecrtolyte with 1/2 TSP Baking Soda and then about 10ccs of Pink Bismuth as well.
He's doing the death throws already so we aren't very hopeful at this point. He is chilled so he is in the house.
I gave him 5cc of Antitoxin sub-Q.
There are no dosages that I could find to tell how much Baking Soda to give for Floppy Kid just that you give it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've never seen an exact amount either. Everytime I ask the dose, even from goat vets...they say, 1/2-1 teaspoon in the bottle.??
:lol no mg/kg..no ounces of milk, nothing...just 1/2-1 teaspoon. It works, so who am I to question the doses? I even HAVE injectable Sodium Bicarb for other reasons, and I can't find a mg/kg doseage to use it for FKS! :really
Kaye

http://www.jvetintmed.org/perlserv/...2/0891-6640(2006)20[1003:FKSCBD]2.0.CO;2&ct=1

isotonic sodium bicarbonate solution intravenously, sufficient to replace the calculated base deficit [body weight (Kg) x 0.5 x base deficit] over 1-3 hrs.
This one is interesting but, I am NOT running a blood sample to the vets to get a base deficit.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
How often should we tube him with the Electrolyte/Baking Soda combo?
He is still alive. His mouth is no longer cold. He has been having some involuntary spasming and crying, but appears to be sleeping comfortably now in my lap.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We try to give baking soda every 1/2 hour, even if it is just a pinch in the mouth. Raising Meat Goats for Profit recommends you give at least a 3 day course of biomyicin as well (for the e-coli). Sue Reith also recommends an antibiotic for secondary infection as well as Bo-Se.

So we give baking soda every 1/2 hour at first, (then something more reasonable like every 2-3 hours when they look better), biomyicin, and Bo-Se. So far it has worked great.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We tubed him about an hour again with more Baking Soda, more Pink Bismuth, and some ProBios (with a little bit of Electrolytes to go along with it). He was spasming before, somewhat during and after the treatment.
He's resting again.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
make sure everything you put in him is warmed to body temp prior. 102 degrees
Anytime I use CD ANTITOXIN I use it as 18 cc sq and 9 cc orally give every four hrs until better for entro.

Found the following on the net.

Dissolve one teaspoon of ordinary baking soda in eight (8) ounces of Re-Sorb and mix thoroughly. Assuming the kid will not suck a bottle, use a stomach tube and tube feed a maximum of two ounces of this solution into the kid's stomach. Two ounces equals 60 cc, which is the exact capacity of the syringe attached to a weak kid feeding tube. Wait about an hour and tube feed another two ounces. Be careful not to bloat the kid's stomach with too much fluid. Use common sense about how much liquid that the kid's stomach can reasonably hold.

Concurrent with the first tubing of this solution, give the kid a subcutaneous (SQ) injection of six to eight (6 to 8) cc's of C&D Anti-toxin. If possible, ask your vet for the precise dosage recommended. C&D Anti-toxin is available from mail-order houses such as Jeffers. C&D Anti-toxin helps counteract toxicity and can be used two or three times daily without fear of overuse. (The use of C&D Anti-toxin negates the effectiveness of CD/T vaccinations, but a newborn should not have received these injections anyhow. Their mother's immunity is still with them. Their immune system doesn't begin to take over significantly until about one month of age, which is when I give the first CD/T vaccination. The second shot is given at two months of age.)

Because Floppy Kid Syndrome is often accompanied by a bacterial infection in the kid's gut, antibiotic therapy is advised. Obtain a vet prescription for Primor or Baytril and medicate for five consecutive days. Primor is available in tablet form; dosages are by body weight, and tablets are scored for ease in breaking in two. Baytril, the ultimate goat antibiotic, comes in both tablets and injectable. Use tablets on kids; the injectable is quite expensive and best used on large, hard-to-"pill" animals.

If the kid has a bloated abdomen, it is advisable to give Milk of Magnesia to speed the elimination of bad milk from its body; dosage is five (5) cc's per 20 pounds of body weight. In extreme cases, a child's Fleet's Enema may prove helpful. Mineral oil should only be given by a vet; a goat's throat does not recognize mineral oil as a substance to be swallowed, so it can wind up in the lungs instead.

Sometimes diarrhea accompanies Floppy Kid Syndrome. This is good; the body is trying to eliminate the toxic fluids. Do not be tempted to use a diarrhea medication. Banamine (two-tenths of a cc) will calm the irritated gut which contributes to diarrhea. And never use Immodium AD on a goat. Immodium AD slows and sometimes stops the peristaltic action of the gut and immobilizes the "soured milk" in the stomach, intensifying the seriousness of the situation. The goal is to get the offending liquids out of the kid's system as soon as possible; you do not want to stop the kid up! If the diarrhea gets really bad, use six (6) cc's of Pepto Bismol. The Re-Sorb/baking soda solution will both rehydrate the kid and sooth the distressed gut. Resorb is high in vital nutrients; a sick kid will do well on Re-Sorb instead of milk for as long as a week.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. We lost him about 20 minutes ago.
Now to figure out what to do about poor Bianca. She sure produces quite a bit of milk for being 1/4 Boer, 1/4 Saanen, 1/4 LaMancha/Alpine and 1/4 Pygmy.
At the very least the kitties will be happy. I'm milking anywhere from 2 to 8 does once a day at this point (all but one has at least one kid on them...and I am drying off the doe who lost her kid).

·
Registered
398 Posts
:sniffle so sorry you lost the little guy... :down

1 - 12 of 12 Posts