Help finding a good mineral supplement

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiegirl01, Jun 4, 2008.

1. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

Hi all:

I am new to this forum and new to goatkeeping. I recently found out that the goat mineral I had been using isn't very good and I'm wondering what other goatkeepers are using in my area? I'm in southeastern Minnesota--halfway between Rochester and the Twin Cities.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Chris
    Valley Grove Farm

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and WELCOME
    Can't help you way up there in the North :)
    Hope you enjoy the site.

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I have used "Goat Mineral" by Manna Pro.

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Hi and welcome. I can't tell you what works well, but I can tell you what I have done and doesn't work. Mineral blocks are so-so, they get licked down to nothing, but I don't know that they have all the right stuff. I bought some horse minerals (loose) and they don't like them. I did order a bag of Hoeggers minerals which arrived today, but I haven't tried them yet. They came highly recommended by a fellow goat breeder.

Different areas of the country have different brands of products available to them. Vicki uses something that I can't get here. My feed store carries a particular brand of products only and they don't make a mineral specific to goats and always want me to buy sheep products!

Good luck. I will be following this thread because I want to see what others recommend. I'll let you know if they like the Hoeggers mineral.

Anne

5. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I took the Hoegger minerals out to the goats last night and they ate them and seemed to really like them. I did notice that there is another thread in this section about mineral. There is a brand of mineral made by Cargill that you may want to try. I am going to try it and do a cost comparison - Hoegger mineral is $43 per 25lb, it gets a little cheaper when you buy 50lbs, but I wanted to make sure my goats would eat it.

Anne

6. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Hi, seeing you are in MN, do you have a Fleet Farm (not Farm & Fleet) by you? I've been getting an excellent goat mineral at Fleet Farm for the last 2 years. High in copper, low in salt, a gray mineral (which works well with our high iron in water). It's labeled as Sprout Goat Mineral. I even ordered in Sweetlix Meat Maker this spring, and the goats like the Fleet Farm mineral better. Good luck!

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Can you put up the label for the sprout mineral?

8. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

I'll have to get to that this weekend (shouldn't be to hard as it's supposed to be humid and storm all weekend, grrr...). But I have a new bag at home that I can get it off of.