HELP!! Doe with terrible diarrhea.....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by D Bar J Acres, Aug 3, 2008.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

2 y.o. Nubian doe, purchased her 3 weeks ago from a nice little healthy herd (she was the reason I tested all my own goats early and had the whole CL positive fiasco). She's a wonderful goat, but wants people attention. She cries for attention, doesn't eat much, just wants people, but if you are by her she'll eat a lot. I had her quaranteened for 2 weeks and she's been with my other 4 does for over a week now. We had a sugar maple tree blow down in the storm we had 7/29 and she ate mostly maple leaves for 3 days until we could clean it up. Leaves were not wilted, tree was still connected enough to be "alive". She had cow pie poop Saturday 8/2 and now today 8/3, she's pooping brown water. She's rough coated and has definately lost weight since I bought her. She was dewormed 2 weeks before I bought her w/ Strongid, I was going to do her this weekend with Ivomec.

She's still active and nibbling at hay like normal.

The local vet clinic (typical large animal - mostly cows) doesn't have a vet available right now. Called my other vet, who does mainly equine now (but also does "hobby farm" type animals and used to do all farm animals) wants me to get a fecal so she can send it to the lab Monday, so I won't even get results till Tue-Wed. She recommended doing noting else. At this rate, she'll be dead.

Can anyone please help me? I can get drugs from the vet if I know what to get. She did have 30cc of cow pepto stuff this a.m. and oral Probios (otherwise she gets Diamond V and a bit of powdered probiotic on her grain once a day).

Right now she's only got access to 1st crop grass (mostly timothy) hay as I pulled the alfalfa mix.

Thank you,
    Jenny
    715-897-3104

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Strongid is useless. Worm her with the Ivomec, if it's the only thing you have. The stress of the move and she's stressing about being away from familiar.

She needs to be on straight grass hay...no hot stuff. (alfalfa,alfalfa mix, etc...) Some bicarb sure wouldn't hurt right now.
    Go ahead with the fecal and see what kind of parasites she has...with strongid, I think you're going to fall out. Give her the pepto every 6 hrs. to coat her stomach and I'd give her a 1/2 dose of banamine to slow that stomach down and stop the cramps.
    Kaye

3. goatnewbie

goatnewbie New Member

I bought a 2 year old doe recently and after I brought her home she got diarrhea too. The stress from the move, the feed, a new home, everything I am sure contributed to that. I gave her Pepto-bismal, the adult dose every 4-6 hours for 2 days and her diarrhea cleared up. My goat was also given some liquid vitamins by an experienced goat woman and I wormed her when I brought her home, 10 days later and 10 days after that. She has gained weight, settled into her new home and milks beautifully. When I bought her she was only milking about 80 ounces a day, she is milking over a gallon a day now and I have only had her 3 weeks. Hope this helps you out.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep Kaye is right plus add in all those maple leaves

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

It would be difficult to get a good fecal test with watery stools, I would think. Sorry she's sick.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry I did not recognize you on HT, with the different user name. Vicki

7. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Hi all,

Just an update on Violet...

She's doing well and poop is very close to being normal. Still watching the feed to and going to leave the whole group on the timothy for another couple weeks and have been adding in alfalfa pellets. They were getting alfalfa mixed hay, but it's acid treated and maybe that's part of the problem too.

Thanks, Jenny

8. Rose

Rose New Member

What is acid treated hay?

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Propionic Acid (sp) - helps prevent mold on hay that is put up damp, etc. Preservative.

Sara

10. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Sara is right about proprionic acid.

If you see the big 8 ft. long square bales, 95% of those will have acid on them. The acid lets them bale the hay with more moisture in it, up to 30%, and (hopefully) allow it to cure without molding and then you have less leaf shatter and higher protein/nutrients. The higher the moisture content, the more acid is sprayed on the hay as it's getting baled up, there is a sensor/probe in the baler that measures moisture in each bale. It's a real pain in the butt tho and if you feed hay with acid on it and have no other browse/forage (such as in winter), your milk can taste pickled. It's really gross!

I'm not real comfortable with it altho it's not supposed to cause any harm. I try to find round bales so we don't have to deal with the acid thing anymore.

11. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Our hay has acid on it, and our milk is fantastic! It sure smells like pickles though.

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Thanks for the update Jenny. I hadn't heard about acid treated hay before, interesting.

Christy

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know that it was all the talk about it also improving milk supply, and if it was or wasn't a banned supstance if you were on test. I lost interest with the end of the conversation as it sounded like sour grapes more than about the hay :) Vicki