Help diagnose my girl,

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Angelknitter12, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Angelknitter12

Angelknitter12 New Member

Thank you!

She passed tonight at 4:45. I am heart broken. This is only the second doe I have lost in my time owning goats. I have only owned them for four years. I am sure it gets easier.

2. cvalley

cvalley New Member

So sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

3. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

So sorry Kami. It's never easy to lose one.

4. H Diamond Farms

H Diamond Farms New Member

So sorry about your girl! It never gets easier to lose a goat that you work hard to save and it never gets easier to lose a friend either. The only thing that makes it better is knowing that she is no longer suffering.
    Are you still planning to have a necropsy done? Please let us know what you find, it doesn't make it better, but if we can learn something from it, that's a good thing.

5. fmg

fmg New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. She was well loved with you and you did all you could for her.

6. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

7. Angelknitter12

Angelknitter12 New Member

We got the necropsy results. There was polio, which we treated for but the damage was permanent. I don't understand why. Something about the lesions on the brain. The kicker wasn't the polio though. Apparently she had a bad bacterial infection (grew out to be ecoli) in her spleen and intestine, which us what probably caused the eating changes that caused the polio, according to the vet. I never saw any eating changes, but the farmer next door often throws veggies over the fence and I can't help but wonder if she got some mold. The great of the herd is still fine.

8. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Thanks for the update. Sorry she had such a hard time. I don't know much about all that but I wonder how the e coli got in her spleen?

9. swgoats

swgoats Active Member

Veggies could have ecoli, but no idea how that ends up in her spleen. I would think ecoli itself could cause damage to the rumen that would result in polio, without there being any dietary change. Sorry for your loss. :(

My doe that was sick this summer has had a personality change. She's kind of hyperactive, and she only drinks out of black buckets. I think she has had some vision changes. She sees me coming and stuff, but she does some odd things. Today she went trying to climb through her wall mounted hay feeder, then decided the better of it and backed out!

10. cvalley

cvalley New Member

Thanks for the update. Interesting results .