help catching unruley goats ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

My friend needs ideas---this is an email I just got from him.
    If you have any ideas I will forward them to him. He lives 7 hours from me so I cant help him. Oh yes this is on over 100 acres.

Well we have 2 goats now too!!! Only problem is, they're the goats from Heck. A week ago their owner was moving them from his mother's house to my neighboring property, which he recently bought. So of course, as the owner from Heck, he thought it would be a great idea to have his dogs loose where he released the goats, and - wonder of wonders - the goats panicked and ran away when his dogs "played" with them. Direct quote: "I don't understand it. Those goats acted like the dogs were hunting them or something."

Just my luck, the goats picked my place as their new home. They are very wild and very destructive. They have climbed all over our vehicles and damaged the paint on my Toyota pickup. The llamas and cats hate them, and they've eaten many of Laura's plants. I've been feeding and watering them and got them to eat alfalfa out of my hand and grain from a bucket. We used the grain to lure them into the portable panels, but they only took about 15 seconds to squeeze out through the rails. They are impossible to herd with 4 knowledgable people. Laura and I, with Rick and Michelle the goat people from the head of the driveway, tried again for 2 hours this morning. No success. Now they are more spooked than ever.

Their stupid owner has taken no responsibility so far ("my back went out"), although he does claim he'll try tomorrow afternoon. I told him to bring 6 people minimum and that I was done trying to help. The switchboard person at Animal Control was not very encouraging but said she would have a field person contact me. Hasn't happened. I was hoping for a tranquilizer gun, as that's the only way I can see getting these goats under control. The sad thing is the owner may end up shooting them if he can't get them off my property. The even sadder thing is that Laura and I are so fed up with dealing with them and all the damage they've done that we think that's not such a bad idea. I know that sounds horrible, and I felt sorry for them at first, but it feels like they have taken over my life. Everything is constantly "where are the goats? what are they ruining now?"

If you have any ideas/thoughts please let me know!

2. Rose

Rose New Member

If someone is REALLY good with a rope, and you can semi-contain them, roping *might* work.

If you are already luring them with feed, I'd put the feed in an area that is described by welded cattle panels. Th 4" x 4" squares, not tubing. Reduce the size till you can close one panel as a gate.

If they are meat goats, I'd just harvest them, as it were.

If they are good dairy goats, then I'd go through the trouble to pen them.

Have you given the neighbor the bill for car repair, etc?

I'm not sure six people can catch two goats on 100 acres. Be sure someone has a video camera.

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Giving the owner of the goats a bill for the truck damage sounds like a good incentive!! Oh so does a vidio camera :laughcry

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Video camera sounds like a great idea :rofl I would agree, on 100 acres I think the only way would be to lure them into a pen or stall that will actually hold them.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

SAme as above but, tell you what wild unruly goats on my property would be sausage right away.

6. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Take pictures of all the damage they did. I would present the owner a bill. Good idea as above to try to get them in a pen that is smaller wire.

7. mpete

mpete New Member

since they have gotten them into a pen earlier, try it again with the panals, or tie up some other wire to them so they cant squeeze through. Have they tried to "herd" them to the owners property? I would definetly have the owner pay for the damage, and I am sorry that your friend has "neighbors from hell".

8. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thanks, I sent on the info to my friend.
    I'll let you know what happenes.

9. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Re: update help catching unruley goats ?

It took until Monday but they finally caught them two goats.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

11. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Glad they caught them. Did the owner come and get them?

12. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Yes, my friend was able to corral them using the cattle panel idea from here, but he had to make a small addition for extra hight because when they caught them with the regular height panels the goat sailed right over. The owners took them away,(about 15 miles away) but my friend keeps thinking hes going to wake up and they will be back at his place. lol
    I never did find out the breed (probally Nubian's :crazy) just that they are yealings.

13. Rose

Rose New Member

I can identify with the sailing goat issue. My Nubian can fly when she wants to.