Help Buying a LaMancha doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

As some know, I am pretty new to raising goats. I have settled on the Mini-Manchas as the breed of choice for me and my family. After speaking with lots of breeders and trying to learn as much as I can, I have determined that I would like to maintain a mix of 75% Lamancha 25% Nigerian Dwarf in my herds.

I currently have two 3rd gen 50% bucks, a 2nd gen 50% doeling (to be bred this fall) and two 75% 1st gen doelings (to be bred this fall) I am looking at acquiring a 75% buck as well as a very correct full bred LaMancha doe.

I need help :help.

I would like to know more about the attributes of a quality goat. Where could I find information on what to look for in a goat I am purchasing. I acknowledge that much of this will come from experience, however I am hoping to shorten the learning curve.

I have attached a picture of a LaMancha doe I am looking at purchasing. She is a 2nd freshener and was appraised at 84 as a yearling. The breeder suggests that 84 is very good for a yearling, I don't know enough about goats or appraising to be sure.

http://meadow-creek-farm.googlegrou...pg?hl=en&gsc=KotXjgsAAACTwIdvmk2iY7osvglzdFE8

Would some of you please follow the above link and let me know what you think about this doe? I am told she is a little hockey (sp?) but I have a buck that will fix that!

Thanks in advance for your help

2. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

She's cute, but I don't know enough to know if she is correct and I think they are ALL cute! Hopefully others will chime in soon enough!!

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Daniel I don't know much of anything abt confirmation so there for can not help you I have to seek Vicki /Sarah /Kaye and other to help me chose.
    For those of you that can help Daniel critique this doe please email or pm him personally with your help on the said doe.
    Thanks
    Sondra

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would like to know more about the attributes of a quality goat. Where could I find information on what to look for in a goat I am purchasing. I acknowledge that much of this will come from experience, however I am hoping to shorten the learning curve.

Like Sondra said we don't critique on open forum 3rd parties goats, and only will do goats owned by the person in Off Topic.

With that said it's always the same...health first. Does she come with a CAE negative test? Have you milked her? Have you tasted her milk?

Then go to conformation.

Hopefully someone who has had good busniness dealings or even bad ones would PM you with that part. Vicki

5. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

This goat is CL clean, the whole heard was tested and cleared in Dec 2007. I have not milked her, I have been invited to come up and milk her and taste the milk.

That being said, when I go up I don't just want to rely on my gut instinct and inexperience on selecting a goat that will have a long term impact on my herd.

I will inquire about pedigree, but what do I need to look for and be wary of when purchasing a LaMancha doe?

thanks in advance!

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

LaManchas as a breed have poor feet and rear legs. So really look at her feet on the milkstand, you want them toes together. Also look at her from the rear, you want those back elbows (hocks) pointing straight at you and her toes pointing forward, not to the sides, or the hocks pointing at each other. An udder that is free of lumps or hard places and milks down to a glove of it's former self. Get with her to show up before milking time, so you can see her milked, milk her yourself and make sure her teats are milkable.

Really go over her carefully, pet her all over and feel for old scars and lumps, any over the lymph system and you should question about it. The idea they are giving shots over the lymph system, well only new people make this mistake. Shot sites for vaccines should be over the ribs, or some hide them under the front leg....never on the neck, jaw, flank etc.

Also she is lovely in the photo by the way.

Make sure the owner of the goat is the owner on her paperwork. Make sure it is signed and dated on the bottom by the owner and goes with you with the payment. See with your own eyes these test results or have her give you a two week window in which to test her for CAE.

Look over the herd, remember you aren't just purchasing this doe, you are purchasing the herd health as a whole. Look for older does down on their knees, swollen knees, yearlings without knee pads. Don't be fooled by the taj majal of barns, nor pass on a doe because she lives in a shed...there are plenty of really nice does I have found that live in less than ideal places...trimming feet, a quick bath, a shave and their old home is gone :)

Quaranteen her from your herd while you trim feet, worm, vaccinate, and test for CAE. This way if there is a problem you have not given this problem to your herd. Vicki

7. tiger408

tiger408 Guest

Are there any other things to specifically look for in this breed? I am new to goats too and I really like the LaManchas... but have no clue as to what to look for. Now if it were rabbits... I know specific breeds are more prone to malocclusion, split P, etc... absolutely no idea with goats. When searching on the web all I can really find is the origin and history... nothing breed specific for common faults and genetic traits, etc. More info please :)

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Like Vicki said check her feet. We raise lamanchas and the biggest problem thing we have are feet . We have to trim a lot to keep their toes tight.Also some lamanchas have small teats.