Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have two female Nigerian Dwarf kids, both 5 weeks old, and bottle fed cow's milk. Actually for about the first 3.5-4 weeks they were on a mixture of whole milk, butter milk, and evaporated milk as recommended by a family member who raises goats. Let me add that I am brand new to raising goats. I'm learning as a go and trying to research as much as possible.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed they both had mucous in their stool. At that time their stool was well formed but just had what looked like stringy mucous. I went to the internet and decided to de-worm with safe guard. Because I'm am paranoid and new to this I decided to have them checked out at the vet to ease my mind. Their fecals were negative and the vet thinks they need to be on milk replacer instead of cows milk. Of course this goes against everything I have read. I did decide to gradually eliminate the butter milk and evaporated milk so now they are on plain cows milk. They get 10oz twice a day now in addition to their hay. Only one of them seems to have the problem now.I started adding a tsp of slippery elm bark to their bottles yesterday and gave a dose of pro bios today. Her stool is very loose and it's almost like jelly. She isn't having frequent diarrhea but when she does go its a large amount and full of mucous. Any suggestions? Should I just give it more time with the slippery elm?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts