HELP - baby 3 weeks old

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

One of my triplet Boer kids born born 10/12 got it's head hung in the horse hay feeder side V shaped area on 10/28 and I found and got her out, I thought she was fine after getting her out but I noticed her wanting to suck alot but then 2 days ago she got a alfalfa pellet stuck in her mouth and chocked and then yesterday she was humped,light as a feather and grinding her teeth so I tried to feed her warmed milk from my dairy doe and put her under a light, I tried feeding her at 3am but she still seemed to be full/bloaty and I could hear her stomach gurgle. This morning/now I see her up under the light, still chewing and a little froth ... what do I do ?

I am warming some Keifer & milk mix and trying to feed again, her rumin needs to start working again . I think she would weigh about 5lbs. as she is the runt and hasent been eating, she's not bony but she is smallest but spunky.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

did you take a temp?? I would give her b complex /bose/tad of banamin and would be trying to feed her little bits every couple hrs. I can't remember when the rumen even starts to work on babies but kinda doubt it is yet. If you aren't feeding kefir then put 1/4 to 1/3 teas BS in the milk
    Make sure she is pooping as have found these guys some times get stopped up.

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I just fed her about 1/3c of kefir/milk mix by syringe and she swallowed it all and really did better taking it , I have not seen her poop as thats something I forgot and Thanks for reminding me ! I have banimine generic but how much do I give her ? She was not grinding when I put her back under the light, I think the froth was from her chewing . I know her neck must be sore from the hayfeeder .
    I will give her more milk in 2 hours along with Bvitamin and get her to pooping with a suppository. Battery is dead so I cant take her temp :blush.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Banamine is given @ 1cc per 100 lbs.. you really need tuberculin syringe's for this for kids. And your
    ?? do you not have a rectal thermometer?

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

update: Baby is up and out with others at feeding loose chopped alfalfa hay and also I gave her a 1/2 c.warmed milk with .5cc of Bcomplex , she is pooping and P'ing on her own . She is walking normal and takes the syringe feedings really good but not the bottle,neither the black or red nipple so I will keep trying . She looks 100% better and I am going to keep feeding her the warm milk even tho the mama doe let's her suck as with the 2 bigger others and they knock her out of the way and the mama doe wants to wean her kid's as Boer doe's have a lot of milk to start but these girl's all 3 mama doe's are trying to wean their kid's at 1 month old ..... SOOooo I will keep feeding her milk .
    The doeling is not gritting her teeth ,so I will pass on the banimine for now and just keep feeding her warm milk and some Bcomplex AND I will get a thermometer. So far.. so good !

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

hope your injecting the BComplex and not giving it orally.

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

You might try putting her in your lap and covering her eyes while you offer the bottle. It might take 2 people. I did this with a baby that would not take to the bottle very well. I guess it works because their eyes are covered when they nurse mom. But a month is way too young to wean. Maybe the mom is just getting too beat up by 3 babies, especially if there are bucklings nursing.
    Theresa

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

The baby is still alive,she was weaker this am but after milk and 4 hours out with mama and fresh grass, she had a lot of spunk, she would go up to any of the 3 Boers and want/try to suck so I got my milk doe's out and tried to get the kid to suck one of them but heck no ,she would not suck ! This doeling is used to a short stubby teats and wouldn't even try my milk girls :nooo so I am back to syringe feeding and I am giving her some cocci stuff in her milk as she is nibbling and eating ,I dont see any grinding anymore,so that's a good thing.
    I do put her in my lap but I will give the eye covering a try as I want her frisky again ,I think her neck/throat is better after the hay feeder chocking her . The Bcomplex, I gave oral :blush but she seems to be alright.

9. Theresa

Theresa New Member

She might not take the bottle ever if she continues to get to nurse from the mamma. Could you separate her all together and make her a bottle baby? Or can you go out several times during the day and make the mamma or one of the other does let her nurse? It really sounds like she is not gettting enough milk. There is no way at 3 weeks she is eatting enough hay, pellets or feed for her to be full and grow.
    Theresa

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Well, she wont suck the bottle but she does lay in my lap really good and take the warm milk by syringe squirting in her mouth .... she also know's what is going to happen when I come out so she starts hollering for me :lol and she waits as what she REALLY wants is me to hold a doe... any doe that has milk and she goes to town sucking ... :lol . She know's her mama but her mama doesnt care if she suck's another doe, so tonight she really got full and happy. I am worried about her tho as it's 47* and she wont get in the little house with the light as the lil house was another thing that she didnt get use to but all the goats are laying outside on ground under trees ,the barn is dark and my goats like lights for some reason, so where they lay outside is the street light . I am hoping she will be ok tonight.