Help 3 month old doe down

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock New Member

We had a show today and took all the girls to show them off. They looked great and did well!

I have a little 3 month old doeling who had loose stools this morning about 8:00 she ate and drank well. Drank from the lambar again about 11:00 and then started acting off around 3:00. I though she was just tired after her first show and all. We got her home and she was not doing well.

Grinding her teeth, obvious pain, looking a bloated, not much rumen sound etc. So we treated for Bloat per Sue Reith

1- Administered 20 cc c&d antitoxin sq
    2- drenched with sodium bicarb
    3- drenched with pepto bismal
    4- gave BoSe 1cc per 40 lbs
    5- banamine 1cc per 100 lbs

she started passing pelleted stool. She is still grinding her teeth
    her temp is 101
    she has not urinated in the last 2 hours or so.

Could this be something else?

Thanks

2. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Clock prevention and worming history?

3. Daniel Babcock

We fecaled her when we brought her to the farm. She received di-methox.

I do not understand clock prevention?

However . . . we lost her this morning at 2:00.

We are heartbroken! Especially my 9 year old daughter, she was up all night with Briezy (the doeling) trying to comfort etc.

As I did my investigation this morning, I found that the owner of the dam (one of my former does) did not vaccinate w CD&T the dam or the doeling . . .

this poor little thing had little or no immunity . . .

I have kids who get piggish on the lambar or on the grain and get diarrhea BUT if their dams and they have been vaccinated they handle it with no complications. HOWEVER when not vaccinated . . . there is little that can be done.

A breeder not far from me lost 10 of his first 10 kids this year . . . symptoms were the same HE DID NOT VACCINATE, the kids got stressed or ate too much and they were gone within 12 hours.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry Daniel, did you feed any colder lambars at the show than at home? This is very typical of how enterotoxemia strikes, and without agressive care quickly including antitoxin, usually you can turn around a vaccinated kid pretty quickly or it doesn't move to death as she is able to hold back the amount of toxins building in their gut. Un vaccinated they go much quicker and faster. We used to only hear about entero in one kid, usually the fastest growing most robust kid (because it was also the pig of the group) now with grain out 24/7 and milk being fed nearly free choice, entero is now a management problem that can effect any kid stressed (showing, moving etc.) and like the other breeder, can take out a whole group.

I don't show kids, they do not have the immune system they need to be taken to shows, and worse is that you are then bringing them back home and they go straight into the pen with all your other kids, your hope for your farm. Sorry this happened. Vicki

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Sorry, that was my iphone, I wrote cocci.

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Sorry you lost her. :(

I've never had trouble with my non vaccinated kids, even when they pig out.. Off to read.

7. Daniel Babcock

Except for one at birth, this is the first kid I have ever lost. I frantically tried to help the breeder (who lost the 10 earlier in the year) with a couple of new kids to no end. Other than that I have never quite felt so helpless.

I think we diagnosed right, we followed the steps exactly and we still lost her.

Vicki-

No cold milk at the show it was approx 100 as it always is.

Great advice about not showing kids. I have to agree with your sentiments.

Thanks for your help/suggestions WOW what an experience.

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

But even if you are correct that there was bloat, that doesn't mean you weren't dealing with enterotoxemia, too, and you did not treat for that (ie, administering the anti-toxin, which is not the same as the regular vaccine, and might have helped.) The bacteria that cause enterotoxemia are opportunistic...they will take advantage of a situation such as what you experienced and in short order, you are looking at a dead kid. Perhaps in a kid that was UTD on its vaccinations, just treating bloat would have been enough. But an unvaccinated, stressed kid, not so much.

9. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

It says in the original post that the doe was treated with C&D Antitoxin...

10. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Sorry, missed that. :blush

11. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Sorry you lost her, Daniel.

12. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Sorry you lost her Daniel.

I too think she had entero. Even goats that have been vaccinated can get entero... but hopefully a milder case.

Initial treatment looked good - but she would need the anti-toxin every 4-6 hours. If it was bloat, then thera-bloat (or homemade thera-bloat which works like a charm, BTW). I would probably have treated for both as there isn't much of a window to correct treatment should your first guess be wrong.

So sorry. BTW, in a case like this, I get on the phone.... get some serious feedback/advice.

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There are so many more clostridums other than C&D that cause entero symptoms. There are also vaccinations like for lepto etc. we no longer give anymore, all will rear their ugly heads in herds, with so few vaccinating and less doing necropsies even with the loss of 10 kids, we all sit around guessing. Vicki