Hello

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jacquelynn, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Jacquelynn

Jacquelynn New Member

I am new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I am Jacquelynn Akin. My sisters and I raise Nubian's. We have reserved several French Alpine '09 kids and can't wait! Our oldest does will be 4 in '09, except 2, due to an outbreak of CAE. We are very careful now about new goats. We are working on a herd for show and milk. But are still very new to pedigrees, feeding for show and production, coccidiosis (never had a problem until '07 kid crop. Didn't even do prevention before as they never showed on fecals. We believe the problem had something to do with the very wet weather after a couple years of drought.), showing, etc., and can always use lots of help!

Right now I am concentrating on flushing, mixing our own feed, and working on a cocci prevention program that works. Oh, and raising money to build a new barn. :D Ours is an old corncrib, 3-sided and our milk area is right next to the animals. As well as barn plans. Not easy when you're trying to accommodate goats and cows in the parlor, goat loafing and feeding, feed, hay, etc.

I am 21, living at home right now. I concentrate on the animals. My work currently being the goats, my ducks, and horses. So I have quite a bit of time on my hands.

Our website is www.akinacres.net feel free to look around and let me know what you think of the animals. I am currently working on updating the goat area.

May God bless everyone with a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Jacquelynn Akin

2. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Jacquelynn!! WOW! I'm so glad you joined!! :) So glad to have you here, and this is about the best place on the web to help out with any questions.

Bethany Morris :)

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome. Glad to have you. :)

Sara

4. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Hello and Welcome!!

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Jacquelynn, Welcome! Nice website.

Paula

6. chewie

chewie New Member

hi there! this is a great place to be, i'm very new to goats and have learned so much in this last year. your site is nice.

7. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Welcome Jacquelynn. Truly hope you seek out the Goatkeeping 101 section and old posts as they contain very valuable information. This is a great site with many wonderful goat minded (and other critters too) people. Hope you like it. Tammy

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Welcome to the forum Jacquelynn :D

Christy

9. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Welcome. You will enjoy it here and learn a lot.

10. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

WOW., your website is awesome and your animals look great. Welcome to DGI, I'm very new myself...sounds like you are heading in the right direction - well, God's direction is always the best direction right! It is exciting to see such a young woman so excited about goats and livestock. Have fun snoopin around and makesure if you don't already have one, get a good notebook cuz' just about everytime I read posts, I'm writing something down :)

11. Terry

Terry Member

Hello and welcome

12. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Nice to have you, Jacqueline! You have a beautiful website!

13. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Welcome! Your site is wonderful and so easy to navigate.

Wendy

14. Welcome to Dairy Goat Info.
    I raise Nubian and Pygmy Goats.
    You have a nice website! :)

Read through Goat Keeping 101. Lots of good information there. :)

15. Belle

Belle New Member

Welcome! You have a nice website, very easy to navigate!

16. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi and welcome! Your goatling illustration next to your herd name is super cute!
    Megan

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and Welcome!!

18. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

:welcome Jacqueline, glad to have you here :D

19. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:welcome Hi! I like your website, we raise Nubians and have a Jersey that calved a 1/2 mini Jersey bull calf on Thanksgiving day and a HolsteinXJersey heifer. Cows are so much harder to do than goats!

20. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Hi Jacquelynn, welcome to the board. I don't know how long you've had goats on your location, but here in Humid Indiana when someone New gets into goats they never seem to have problems with cocidiosis until about the 2nd or third year of raising kids. Then Look Out! By that time they are in your soil and affect the new kids you have, from now on (oklahoma being differnt of course) you may always have to be vigilant. Or maybe just in wet years since I'm not familiar with your climate. I have silver appleyard ducks, but they are OLD. Do you have any luck with them setting, or should I try and incubate eggs from them in the spring? If they even lay anymore: )
    I love your website very nice!
    Sherrie