Hello From Georgia...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by outbackfarm, Nov 22, 2008.

1. outbackfarm

outbackfarm Guest

Hello. I am so exited to have found this forum! I have been to others, but they aren't "all" about goats.

I just have 5 Lamancha does and a Nubian doe. I am breeding them right now for spring kids. We use the milk for our calves and pigs and we get some if there's any leftover. I love goat milk! I love anything goat, actually. I can talk goat all day if there is anyone who'll stay long enough to listen.

I have been milking for about 2 years now and am always learning new things every day. So I hope to learn a lot here from all of you. I've been reading some of the posts and there is a lot going on and some very knowledgeable people here.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this.

Kris

2. coso

coso Guest

Hi and welcome. You can learn a lot here. Not too many people here on Saturday mornings but it will pick up. LaManchas are great aren't they. Thats what we have too. Read through the 101 it will really help. Have a good one. :hello :biggrin

3. Welcome to dairy goat info. You will find alot of good information here. :)

I raise pygmys and nubians. :)

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Welcome to the forum. :biggrin
    :yeahthat This will keep you busy for a while...we've taken great pains to make sure most of the info. is up to date and WORKS. If you have a question just ask. You'll sometimes be directed to a post in goats 101 to answer your questions.
    Kaye

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Welcome, Kris. Nice to see someone else from Georgia on here. Where do your Lamancha stem from? Just curious....

Glad to see you here,
    Autumn

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Welcome Kris. This is my favorite goat forum. I raise mostly Nubians and also have a few grade La Manchas. I like to talk goats, too and I'm sure I bore alot of folks who are not members of this forum or otherwise fellow goat breeders. There's alot of good info and support here. Kathie

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and WELCOME !! Kaye is right (Goat 101) is basically your bible :)

8. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Welcome Kris!! I'd say this is about the best forum on the web! :D

9. Belle

Belle New Member

W E L C O M E !!!

This is a wonderful forum, there is so much great info here and so many helpful people.

10. outbackfarm

outbackfarm Guest

Thank you all for the nice welcome. I can't remember how I found this forum, but am glad I did.

Autumn, one of my first Lamanchas I got from Sale Creek, Tn. She originated from Lake Butler, Fla. Her registered name is Hailey's-Star VO Absolute. She'll be 7 in Feb "09. We call her Abby. That's why I got her because my daughter's name is Abby.

Another one I got from Tn. too, with her twin doelings. She is Country Cabin Avi's Faith. She's actually registered experimental. She'll be 6 in March "09.

The other one is from Chick. She's actually half Togg. from a reg. Togg. buck Bourban something.

There are a lot of Lamancha lovers here. I like them because they have such good temperaments and are quiet, most of the time. I do have a few mouthy ones. My little Nubian is my baby. Got her at just a few days old. I could never get rid of her. She'll be my one and only Nubian, though!

I have looked at the 101 site. Great info there, for sure. It will come in handy.

It will be so nice to have more goat friends around.

Kris

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi Kris,

Well I know all those Lamanchas really well especially that little half Togg, I remember the trek to Ohio to get her sire, Bourbon. Yep Lamanchas are the love of my life but I do have a few Nubians in the mix.

Autumn

12. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Hi, Kris! I'm a stranger here, myself. (Well, going on a week), and I've already learned a lot. I had goats years ago--like, when Nixon was President--but forgot everything. Sometime I'd like to hear about raising pigs on goat milk. My first goat mentor did that & the pork was terrific.

Tom

13. outbackfarm

outbackfarm Guest

Really? Sure is a small world, huh? Have you talked to Bourban's owner lately? And the little half Togg is doing great. She's 2 1/2 now. I can't believe I've had her this long. She's just had bucks so far. She's a great milker, too.

And, Tom, I love talking pig, too. I have 4 at the moment til Jan 14, then off to the butcher they go! They got most of my goat milk til I went and got the powdered milk for them. Now we have plenty of milk for us. And they're happy, too.

Where is Bremen? And Kaley, where in Ga. are you?

Kris

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hey Kris......welcome here. Lots of fine folks hang around here often, so you should fit right in.

Seems like I went through Chick GA one time, but I'm gonna have to mapquest it I guess. My photographic memory ran out of film a few years ago.

Always good to hear from neighbors.

BTW---you will own more Nubi's someday....them thangs are habit forming.

WHIM

15. Yup... started with one, I now have 5. :) They are like potato chips, you can't just have ONE of them. :D

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Yep...been through there years ago......Oh my goodness, you live up there where I call it God's Country. I used to peck around a lot up in northeast AL....you just can't hardy ever beat the view.

Best wishes, WHIM

17. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi Kris,

I talk with Bourbon's owner every now and then.
    Bremen is 2 1/2 hours south of Chickamauga.

18. outbackfarm

outbackfarm Guest

Hey Whim, I'm actually in Mclemore Cove, in the valley between Lookout and Pigeon Mts. It is the most beautiful place in Ga. Quite possibly in the US. I just went on a trip to the west coast. Drove to Col. then flew to Wash. State. They didn't come close to the beauty we have here. It was just drabby brown out there, then came home to color everywhere here!

I know everyone thinks where they live is the best, but my little piece of heaven is just spectacular! Love it here. It's nice to get away, but oh so good to be home!

So you are not too far away, either. Alabama is just over the "hill" from me to the west.

Lots of goat people around. BTW, I do like Nubians, but their personality and mine are NOT compatible at all. I am a very high strung person and when they do their thing it drives me crazy! A friend had a few and every time I'd go to her house, they were never quiet. Never. And if their kid got out of sight,OMG! Bazerk!

So I think for right now at this time in my life the Lamancha is great for me. That all could change, though. I really do like the long floppy ears as opposed to none at all. I just wish they had the quiet nature of the Lamancha.

Have a great Sunday, Kris

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome :)

Temperment, like any other trait, can be bred for.

Our Nubians are very quiet and very well mannered. Same with our LaManchas. I wouldn't tolerate anything less.

Sara