Hello - First Post

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Karen Bailey, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I'm Karen Bailey and I've been a lurker on this forum for almost a year. Those people who have met me (Kaye, Sharon) can attest that I usually do a lot more listening than talking, especially in a group situation. But as my children have grown up and left home, I have become more loquacious (great word!), especially on any topic concerning my beloved goats!

I've been raising Nubians for 10 years now in Central Arkansas. I keep a closed herd, so my girls don't go to shows, but I enjoy going to a goat show and seeing everyone else's goats. I breed for milk production, and because I love the milk and can't do without, I milk my does through on extended lactations with only some of them bred to kid and freshen each year.

I drink a lot of milk, but also enjoy making cheese, butter, ice cream, fudge and soap.

After thinking about it for nearly 2 years, I finally started working on a farm web site. I learned many things in the past 3 weeks. One, I had to learn about digital cameras so I could intelligently choose one that would do the job. Cheap Walmart digital cameras take fuzzy pictures, no matter what settings you try! Then I had to learn how to use that camera - take pictures, download to the computer, upload to web site, re-size...oh my! Now I'm waiting for Spring to arrive - sunny days with green grass and leafy trees, does with full udders, kids running around doing cute things - so I can take more pictures. But the bare bones are there, if you would like to know more about me and my farm. The address is:
    http://www.freewebs.com/calmgentledairygoatfarm/index.htm

Any way, I hope to join in on some of the forum discussions now. There have been many really interesting topics and I've learned a lot from you all, as well as just enjoying being around people who like to talk about goats.

Karen

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Welcome to the forum
    :rofl "loquacious"
    You made me go look this one up :laughcry

3. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

My Grandmother always said we needed to learn more of those words in the dictionary instead of using the same old ones all the time. I learned lots of interesting words from her!
    Karen

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Welcome Karen ... I knew a Karen Bailey from Texas many years ago. But You are probably not here as this was her madien name. Welcome to DGI...hope you enjoy it as much as I do...

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome out of lurkdom. :D Thanks for the introduction. It's always nice to be able to 'meet' new members!

Sara

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Welcome Karen!

Christy

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome Karen, 10 years in Nubians and I don't know your name...yep lurkdom for sure!!!

Nubians and soap, you should fit right in :) Welcome. Vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

HEY, Karen, glad you finally came out of hiding...you'll like this bunch! We joke and banter a lot but get serious when need be.
    Welcome,
    Kaye

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi Karen WELCOME!!
    Yep we love our goats too so your going to fit right in. Give us some more pointers on soap.

10. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Welcome Karen,

You already know we are nuts....now you can share some of your craziness...this makes the rest of us feel better. :)

Camille

11. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Welcome! :D

Leslie

12. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Welcome Karen. Nice to meet you. I am sort of a lurker to. Gotta love those Nubians.

13. Josie

Josie New Member

Welcome!! Nice to meet another new member! I tend to "lurk" too, but really love this forum. Good to "meet" you!

14. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Welcome Karen! It is always nice meeting new goat breeders and especially nice to meet more Nubian Lovers! :)
    P.S. Lurking is my specialty to..Read and Learn!! :biggrin
    Patina

15. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Hello fellow Arkansawyer! Glad to see a nubian breeder in the area (well, sorta close, I am almost to MO).

16. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Welcome Karen! Hope you start contributing.

Great start on your web site - can't wait to see some pics of your girls.

I'm up here in NW AR.

17. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Welcome Karen. I raise Nubians, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.