Hello and here is my first question...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiaBella Farm, Jul 24, 2008.

1. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

I am new to the board and of course, have a question! :help2

My husband and I are new to the goat world and are looking into raising both Boer goats for meat production and show animals AND Nubians for milk.

Does anyone here raise both? If so, what are the pros & cons of doing this?

Thank you!

Michelle

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The only problems I see are having two sets of bucks to deal with and making sure you get disbudded kids or have totally separated goats. I have Boer and Nubians but everyone is disbudded , thus I keep the breeds together together.
    By the way WELCOME TO THE GROUP

3. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Michelle,
    Welcome to the group.
    We raise both boers and nubians. The nubians are more likely to get along with other goats than the boers. Some of ours have horns and some do not. We have run some of our Nubians with our boer does. We do not run our bucks with our does. We have 2 billy pens. One has boer bucks, the other has nubian and weaned boer kids. We do not put our boer kid bucks in with the bigger boer bucks. They are too agressive and may hurt the kid. The nubian bucks are fine with the kids and don't cause a fuss. So we put our boer kid bucks in with the nubian buck kids and adults.

The goats with horns have not hurt the other goats. They butt each other sometimes, but so far no one has gotten hurt. We have bee raising boers and nubians for 2 years now. We do not run our boers with our Milkers and we do not put boer kids less than 4 months old in with the field goats (boers and nubians) unless they are wethers.

The older boers and nubians (unless we are milking them) run together and get along fine. Once the queen has established her position, the other goats know who is boss. They get along fine after that.

The main con is that boer goats get sick more often and are not as hardy for our Texas climate as the nubians are. Nubians have better personalities and from what I have seen, there is alot more of a demand for Nubians than there is for boers. (At least around Houston). We started with mainly Boers and have switched to mainly nubians and have sold most all of our boer herd. We still have Boers for sale, registered and cheap, but anyone around here knows how hard they are to raise in this part of the country and choose not to buy them. We have sold all available nubians, except for 2 registered buck kids. We are keeping 4 boer does and 1 buck, mainly for meat. Research all you can about raising boers in your area and don't go into it blind like we did. Good luck with your decision.

Tara

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Welcome! I don't have either (Lamanchas here ), but my neighbor has both. She keeps her Nubian Does seperate from her Boer does. She has one pen for bucks and buck kids and has a full Boer buck and a full grown Nubian buck and about 10 Nubian bucklings. The two big guys go at it quite a bit (one horned the other not) and they seem to be fine. The Nubian actually seems to run things. The Boer is a little mean to the bucklings, but the Nubian usually doesn't let this go on long.
    Hope that helps.

Sarah

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Well, we raise Saanens and Boers. The Saanens are kept separated from the Boers simply because we feed and manage them separately. If we fed the Boers what the Saanens get, we would have fat Boers. :)

When we were first started with the Boers we let the does (Boers and Saanens) be in the same pen together. The Saanens (who are very laid back as a rule) ruled the roost. If the Boers didn't behave, they would bite their long ears. :lol Of course, the Saanens were "grownups" and the Boers were young stock, so it might be different if you start with mature animals.

In general, our Boers have nice laid back personalities, and we find them to be very healthy. Generally speaking, raising Boer kids is much easier than raising Saanen kids - including, and perhaps because of the bottle feeding (Boers eat smaller meals more frequently and have comfort of mama). we love both breeds and find sales in both to be quite good. This year sales of does in milk have been off the charts, and we have a waiting list of folks wanting more Saanens in milk.

Sales of Boer bucks and Saanen bucks has been brisk this year as well. I guess it might depend on how long you have been doing this (folks get to know you or about you) and your general area as well.

As far as bucks penned together, we don't pen different ages together of either breed. If a buck is worth keeping/using, then I don't want him getting prison-yard "mistreated".

Boers eventually will rule the pen, not because of horns or a mean temperament, but because they have more body mass, and when our "macho" Saanen buck butts heads with one, he walks away shaking his head like he wonders what in the world he just hit. I think you would have to call that penning situation individually. If a goat looks picked on, move him. If he is getting plenty to eat, albeit eating second, that's okay too.

Boers and Nubians make very nice crosses (and no airplane ears), but we do love a nice Saanen/Boer cross, but that is on our Saanen girls with backs as wide as tables and incredibly long loins.... put some meat on that frame, with all that milk, and boy mama! Big growthy kids. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Make sure you buy lusty healthy Boers from a good breeder (same of course with your noisy Nubians :) ) and manage them well, and you should be fine.

Camille

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

7. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Hi there! Welcome!
    We have Boer crosses and Alpines... We house them together, but all of our goats are hornless. (Our bucks however, are NOT housed with the does.)
    Our Alpines are the bosses, and wonderful with people... Our Boers are VERY laid back and easy-going creatures. Although they outweigh the dairy goats, they let them be in charge........

8. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Hi there!

My oldest goat is a Nubian- she was given to me along with her two kids at her side- Nubian/Boer cross doelings. So, apparently, she got along well with at least *one* Boer......... LOL! :)

Hope you like it here!
    Donna