Hello and a question...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bethany, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here, I raise Nubians and Boers in Oklahoma and I have a couple of kids reserved from Blissberry.

Here's my question, do any of you do free choice cold pasteurized milk feeding with your kids?? Any imput, pro's or con's? I'd appreciate any info, thanks!

Bethany

2. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I feed cold milk. Usually by the time they are a week or so, they start getting cold.

Ken in Idaho

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome Bethany! I am so glad you found us. :D

I feed free-choice milk and it works well for us. The milk I feed isn't usually ice cold, but it colder than room temp. We pasteurize a lot of milk in several pasteurizers so I feed the milk that was pasteurized from the last chore time (12 hours). I start feeding free-choice from the very start. All babies are penned by litter and each pen has a mini lambar that has milk in it at all times. Once the kids are moved to the kid pens in the barn they continue on the free-choice method but by this time they are drinking all the milk in the regular size lambars by the time I feed them in the evening. I put Deccox-M in the AM lambar. The kids grow well and are healthy.

Sara

4. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Do how do you all store your milk from the previous chore time? In the fridge?
    If so, do you take the edge off by adding a bit of the warm, just pasteurized milk from
    the current milking?

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The pasteurized milk is stored in the pasteurizers. :D

I pasteurize milk 12 hours behind. For example: My morning milk is stored raw in red containers in the fridge. When I start evening chores I empty the milk (already pasteurized the evening before) out of the pasteurizer pails into the lambars to feed kids. I then pour my milk from that morning into the pails and start the pasteurizers so they run while I do chores. I hate waiting to milk to cook so this method works for me.

Clear as mud?

Sara

6. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

We'll have to try that. We pasteurize ahead too but pull and cool the milk (love those snow banks) and the store it in our pasteurized milk fridge. Our pasteurizers are working on the previous milking while we do the current chores and that milk goes into our unpasteurized milk fridge. Never thought of just leaving the pails sit in the pasteurizers after they were done.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I should have mentioned... We have an air conditioned/heated milking parlour. If you pasteurize your milk indoors in a temperature controlled environment it works well. I'm not so sure I would keep the milk in pasteurizers for 12 hours if you handle your milk outside or in a barn. You might end up with cheese. :O

Sara

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And Bethany all these answers are coming from those in the frozen tundra! YMMV with the heat we have here. Keeping milk in lambar buckets gives us flies and cottage cheese that won't suck through lambar tubes :) You can put frozen soda bottles (empty soda bottle filled with water and frozen) in with the milk to keep it cold longer.

Congrats an a wonderful choice to fuel your Nubian obsession though! Vicki

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Shoot! Forgot to add (Thanks Vicki!) that on really hot and muggy days I do add frozen water bottles to the lambars. Living in Minnesota, we don't get too hot until June so it's not as much of an issue as it is for those in the south.

Sara

10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the info Sara. I do plan on having to put frozen water bottles or something in it to keep it cool. I think it'd be nice if I could figure out some way to insulate the lambar itself warm weather will be a problem here. Do you have a specific lambar feeder you use? I'm thinking about getting this one http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1759&cat=130&page=1 from Hamby Dairy supply.

Bethany

11. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

If Kefir doesn't spoil, I wonder how much of it you could add to the lambar milk, that would make the milk keep longer?

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

We use a couple different types of lambars. We have a few of the Caprine Feeders purchased from Caprine Supply and they work fine. However, you can make them cheaper than you can buy the entire feeder for. I just buy the lambars nipples and get pails and tubing locally. Saves money.

We make mini lambars for the babies with 1 and 2 gallon white pails we purchase from Uline.

The newest lambars that we use are made from rectangular Rubbermaid tubs. We set these on a platform and strap them to the outside of the pens. Works great and we don't get mauled since we don't have to enter the piranha pen. :D

Sara

13. NubianSoaps.com

I know Ric won't post but he is making up something like this for his new Alpine kids in Feb. The milk stays in an ice chest, with tubes going down into the ice chest and the lambar nipples are mounted on a.....shoot no idea, guess like a thin piece of wood...that you attach to the inside of their pens. So the only milk that is no in the cold ice chest is what they suck up into the tubes. I will see if he has pictures of this yet. He saw this on his great Alpine quest to the west coast. Vicki

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is rather what I am planning on doing also and also am feedingat least half kefir and half pasturized milk to all kids thus milk won't spoil and also will be beneficial to the kids.
    before I have made my own lambars with bucket purchased at home depot and caprine nipples. tubing also from HD

15. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Hmmm, I've never thought about using kefir, wouldn't it still have to be kept cool though, because isn't part of the free choice feeding having the milk cold so they don't eat too much at one time??

Bethany

16. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Sara, how do you keep free choice milk from freezing?

I do it a bit differently than everyone else I guess <g> Mine get all they want at a feeding, but are on 2x a day almost immediately -- and I actually warm the milk up for them if it's cold :really I figure if it's already below zero, they don't need any help being cold.

Tracy

17. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Vicki,
    Willow Run used this same system. Except they had a more elaborate storage system.

But the idea was the same. Nipples were on a board that stuck into the pens. I *think* I remember there were like 20 nipples on the board.
    Kaye

18. NubianSoaps.com

I am the bad at explaining something I have never seen, and worse when he was trying to tell me about it I was like "WHAT"!!! Vicki

19. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I find that they don't eat as well if the milk is cold till their older. how do you fight this? and I made my own feeders too. really easy to do.

-Melissa

20. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

With cold milk, they *nurse* like they should....a little at a time and very frequent. Instead of gorging at limited feedings.
    They'll get hungry enough to drink the cold milk. ;)
    Kaye