Helllo, New to boards, and first kids of the year!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Pairaka, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself. I'm Wendy Lee and I live in Philadelphia, TN. We're about 20 minutes south of Knoxville. Currently we have mostly Nubian (American and Purebred) and one 100% SA Boer buck.

This morning our herd was increased by 2! I went out to get my two does that are still milking and the one doe that I was expecting to kid on the 3rd (and didn't kid then proving that even if you see the buck mounting a doe it doesn't prove anything) come up looking like she'd lost about 25 pounds and knew she'd kidded. I rushed in and looked in the loafing shed and there were two beautiful little kids! :) A perfect delivery; she took care of everything! They were already clean and dry and standing up and apparently they'd nursed and everything. Even now, after I've moved them into the kidding shed I had set up (and intended for her to kid in) they're already up and wandering around outside the shed! I can't believe it! In the past, the kids don't usually leave the shelter until they're at least a couple days old! As for Delphine, the doe, it's strange to see an udder on her, as she's a two-year-old that didn't get bred last year (useless freeloader, as we like to call her) because, being new to goats I didn't know that yearlings will not always show heat and didn't just put her in with the buck to get her bred. I was afraid she wouldn't form a nice udder, but it looks like it's going to be a nice one. :)

Anyway, here are our first two kids of our kidding season. She had a buck and a doe. The buck will be wethered (most likely) and we'll keep the doe to help increase our meat herd. My daughter has already picked out a name for her: Ripley (from Ripple, because of her curly haircoat).

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Oooohhh. They are lovely. Congrats. That last photo is so precious.

...I think we're going to have a "useless freeloader" this year...sigh.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Welcome to the forum!! Congrats on a couple great looking kids there.

4. Hello and welcome to the board. I'm sure it will become your *second* home (I know I *LIVE* here more then anywhere else in the cyberworld) .... cute kids. We are anxiously awaiting the goat stork ourselves. We are about to welcome to the world (she's in light labor at this time) our first ever NON- purebred nubian kids. Mom's nubian, but dad is Coso's really nice Lamancha buck... can't wait for wee 'ittle elf ears!...
    again, welcome and thanks for sharing
    susie, mo ozarks
    ages ago acres nubians

5. Truly

Truly New Member

Welcome Wendy Lee.

Lovely kids... they are so much fun.

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

:welcome

Congratulations on such hardy kids :D

Christy

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Welcome and congratulations on two lovely kids.

8. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on those two little cuties!

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Welcome to the forum Wendy, glad to hear you love your goats.. Nice babies
    Barbara

10. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hi Wendy. Welcome and well done on the kids.

Leslie

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Welcome and hello! Such nice goats :D Don't you just hate making those pretty clean white Boer babies all yellow and dirty when you dip their navels? Good job!

12. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Hello Wendy Lee, and welcome! Congratulations on the beautiful babies!

13. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

:welcome Wendy. Know your gunna love it here. Love those babies. Congrats. :handclap

Wendy

14. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Hi Wendy and welcome to the board! Love your babies, congratulations!!!!!!!

Tamera

15. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:woohoo new babies. congrats.

Welcome to the forum.

Sheryl

16. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on the beautiful babies.
    Autumn

17. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Hi, and welcome from another newbie! Congratulations on your new additions!

18. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Wendy - welcome to the forum and congrats on your new kids ! and Delphine has lovely markings - I like her 'socks'.

19. Terry

Terry New Member

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the two cutie pies.
    Terry

20. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hi Wendy! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on those very cute kids! Yea, iodine on white coats.. pretty much ruins blue jeans as well :)