Heels walked down

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Apr 4, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

My great big Saanen FF (who's giving fits everywhere it seems) went down in her pasterns the last few weeks of pregnancy and wore her heels down. I was keeping her toes short and have trimmed down as much as possible trying to get the hoof balanced again. Anything else I should be doing? How long might it take to grow her heels out?

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I will take her a while to build them back up...preg sure takes it out of them and is hard on them too. just trim her toes till they get back to normal and that is about ever week or 2 till you see her improving. I know I am not much help but its something.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It takes quite a while to get them to even out.

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I'm glad someone has asked this. My Clover looks terrible after having triplets. I'm REALLY nervous now about our first ever Linear Appraisal appointment with my "backyard milker", who now has these bad pasterns and walking on her heels. :( Thanks for posting and advising!

5. Rose

Rose New Member

I've got an 'old lady' doe with bad back feet that I'm working on, too. I bought a horse hoof rasp. Every week, I do a little on her hooves. It's helping. :D

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Make sure you give them extra bo-se . I had one go down after delivery and she came right back after the shot. I am not totally sure if she pinched something during delivery or was lacking.

Patty