Heavy duty clippers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Dec 19, 2007.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I am starting to look for a heavy duty clipper to shave the goats BUT I also need to shear sheep, too. I thought I saw that the heads could be changed as well as the blades on some brands. I do not know what kind of clippers/shearers to get but must be good quality and not too outrageously expensive. Ability to shear sheep will be key.

2. Bailey,

The best I think is Oster. They have a couple of different types, but key is to make you get get a 3 inch head on them. Then you can get different blades and heads for them. To change the head all it is...just 3 screws and that is all. Not hard at all. Plus if you motor goes out then you can just buy a new motor for about $150. With the new set...you are looking at about $300 to 350. The best way to get a set is to go to a cattle show and ask around. We get rid of ours about every other year. Since we are clipping about 200 head a year with them.

ken in MI

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well Ken next time you want to get rid of one let us know :)

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I bought my girls the Oster Shearmaster and when I got goats to clip I purchased the clipmaster head. Had ours several years now and they still work fine.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Shoot, if you ever used the Lister or Premier clippers one time you would ditch your Clipmasters! They are half again as light, are faster, are quieter and are not much more expensive when new. Their blades are wonderful...the covercoat they sell for the Lister clippers can shave slick a black goat the day of a show!

I paid $100 with 3 sets of blades for mine used, mine are the Stablemates. It's like in small clippers if you have the old A5's and you ever used a Maroon clipper, Andis Super Plus (especially with the wide Clipmaster or is that Oster blade (for the gold small clipper), your A5's feel like a childs toy they are soo much slower. Speed. Love love love them. Vicki

6. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

But do any of these do sheep? We will shear maybe 2 or 3 a year. And my goats for LA. :)

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sure they will, well the large ones I mentioned, in fact most clippers were sheep clippers before they were goat clippers :) Livestock clippers have been around forever. Google Premier1 and Lister. Vicki

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I don't know about Vicki's, but I raised sheep and my girls showed lambs in the county fair every year. I used the Oster Shearmaster to shear them and I bought the Clipmaster head for it when I got into goats so I didn't have to buy a whole new clipper motor and all. The Clipmaster head was about $100.00+. I believe the Shearmaster whole thing was about $279.00 and came in the carrying case with the grease and cleaning stuff and blade wash and I think it came with a full set of blades and comb. It is large and can get heavy after you shear a couple of them. It will hang in there without getting hot and clips fast though.

9. I have used the Lister clipper and I still like my osters better. I think it has to do with the weight. They are heavy clippers. But, I am clipping cattle about half the time and shearing sheep the other half. With the sheep I feel its better if you have a heavier set, since that will keep you on the skin. But, also that was what I learned on so, I know the oster clippers backwards and forwards. I do all the repair on them and never had a problem with getting parts at livestock shows.

Ken in MI

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I have a sheep head for the oster/sunbeam. Would like to sell it, if anyone's interested. I DON'T EVER intend to shear another sheep!
    I only want to sell the head, not the motor. I have two goat heads and two motors, just in case something happens while I'm getting ready for a show.
    Kaye

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I use the Andis Heavy Duty Sheep Shear 6000 for fitting goats (had to buy the goat comb extra) and shearing the llama. I also have an Oster for detail work on the goats.

Christy