Heavy bred doe low in pasterns

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Oregonian Chick, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

One of my heavy bred LM does I noticed today is down in her pasterns. She is due Feb 12th and right now is the biggest I have ever seen her in her past kiddings. She got her prebreeding BOSE shot but I am wondering should I give her another one now or leave her be until she gets her BOSE shot 2 weeks before kidding out?

She is a 4yr old and never before have I had problems with her pasterns in her previous pregnancies. She has had her feet trimmed in the past 2 months but I am going to check her again tonight after work and make sure it isn't because I trimmed them wrong or something. Everyone else is fine on their pasterns so it is just her. I am not to worried about it but I am wondering if there is something I can do to help.

Justine

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Justine,

A heavy bred doe who is carrying lots of kids will sometimes become low in pasterns. Keep in mind that every kidding is different. Make sure the goat is getting plenty of nourishment, calcium in the way of alfalfa and minerals. With proper nourishment they will usually come back up to their proper position 4-6 weeks after kidding. Bo-Se will help with their ligaments.

At kidding time, this may actually get worse because the kidding hormones that soften the tail bone ligaments will soften all the ligaments in the body and that includes the ones that hold up the pasterns. Never cull a doe for weak pasterns during this time, wait and see if they will come back up as the doe recovers from pregancy.

3. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Ok thanks Tim :D. She is one of my favorite does and has always had very strong pasterns but her mom went down in her's as a 2yr old so thats why I posted about it. She has got all the proper stuff she needs so I will keep a eye on her and see how she does after she kids. I wasn't thinking of culling her or anything yet :nooo. I love that doe to danged much :lol.

Justine