heavy breathing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by aRealdairyman, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Ok...lets see what people say about this one.

Had the last doe freshen this morning. She is a 4th freshener, big ole body doe. Had them before I got my butt up out of bed, so dont know what the labor was like. But she has never had a problem before, so I slept in a little.

The problem is...the buck kid out of the set is panting like a dog would when its hot. He breathes deep, good heart rate, bright eyed and bushy tail. But, just pants ALL the time. Unless you hold his mouth shut. Then he breathes just fine. Does not have fuild on the lungs, or any discharge out of the nose or the mouth. Just his blooming breathing...just wondered what you all would think might cause it.

OH...and before its the game of 20 questions on what all I did with him(KAYE). I give a heavy amount of colostrum, always from older does. I grade the colostrum, so that is not a problem. Its tubed down them, no questions ever asked. I dont bottle feed it ever. So, this morning at about 7 he got his 15 oz of colostrum, with his nasal guard. Burn the navel, and cut his ears...our way of marking a market kid at birth (no ear tips, gone to market). Then tonight at about 6, he would not drink the goats milk, so tried goat milk replacer, he did not like that. So, out came the lamb milk replacer, drank it like there was no tomorrow(likes the higher price stuff I guess). But, he is still panting.

Just wondered what you all would think it might be. He is a science project now. if he does not make then I will go in and see what is wrong.

ken in MO

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

To start the 20 questions :)

Does he have a cleft pallet?

My very first thought with a mouth breather is lung function of course. But it can also be an enlarged heart or fluid around it...congential of course and dead here of course, no time to mess with him even if it was to market :) Vicki

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl
    Listen or feel for his heart beat...you got a stethoscope? See if there's a heart mummer. Leaky valve. You'll be able to tell if it's either of these.
    He'd also get a shot of Dexamethasone...just in case those lungs are sticking. There's some reason he's not getting enough oxygen and having to mouth breath. Maybe a collapsed trachea...you can feel that, too.

And yes, I saw where you'd called and knew it was important...it was during chores and no phone. ;)
    Kaye

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ken........I'll try to keep it under 20, but have got a couple after I re-read this about 3 times. When you say you can close his mouth, and he breaths deep and "just fine"....are you saying that the breathing rate/depth is normal one way, but not the other.? ....and does he ever shut his mouth, and try to breath normal on his own?....or does his mouth stay open all the time, or most of the time? Also, was he doing this from the first time you found him, or did he only start this after being fed (tubed).?

....and curiosity is getting me here, so maybe you can explain this one to me a little better.

"""" Its tubed down them, no questions ever asked. I dont bottle feed it ever."""""
    """"" Then tonight at about 6, he would not drink the goats milk, so tried goat milk replacer, he did not like that. So, out came the lamb milk replacer, drank it like there was no tomorrow(likes the higher price stuff I guess). """"" Ken

....Can I assume that you had switched over to a bottle at this point ? I'm trying to figure out how he rejected the goats milk through a tube......or are you saying that you only tube the first feeding of colostrum?

If this later feeding was through a bottle, was he able to suck normally?

See....just 7 or 8 questions. :biggrin
    :needcoffee

Whim

5. Well....I have found out just how much inbreeding is a BAD thing. He was a 8th generation my blood. So, that will answer ALOT of questions. He is just plain right out inbred stupid!

At first he would not breathe with his nose unless you closed his mouth and forced him to breathe tho his nose. So, Dad made a comment(he does not like goats that well...prefers the sheep) Well he is a goat after all...that is how he took his first breath and that is how he thinks its done. I had a good laugh over that one..But then yesterday...I went out to the barn and he was normal as can be. Up kicking and everything, asked dad what shots he gave him. He said nothing...I thought yeah right. Come to find out....during the day he was sick of listening to him cry...so he put feed sack string around his mouth to shut him up. WELL...that solved the mouth deal. Now he uses his nose. DUMB goat.

This morning when I went out to milk and feed all the animals. I saw he was not in the pen that I had him in the night before. I thought...oh well he went off and died somewhere. After I milked, I feed the ewes and all the lambs. Well in the single pen, there was nothing exciting. Then I went to feed the twinning ewes. There he was among the whole group of lambs( about 150 lambs). I thought ok...he is alive. Then the STRANGEST thing happened. The old grandma ewe we call her...called her lambs...well the two got up and went running...followed by this little saanen buck kid. Well one did not make it to the teat fast enough and that little bugger grabbed ahold of her like there was no tomorrow. The ewe just stood there and let him nurse like he was her own.

Tonight...went to milk and feed. Saw the little buck and thought...ok grandma has had enough of him. So, I grabbed him up...or course he cried like I was cutting off his head. Then the fight was on between the ewe and I to get that kid. After seeing that I thought, shot she has raised quads before one more mouth would not be a problem. SO, I now not Damn raising kids but, having a ewe that is going to raise them for me. Talk about problems when he grows up!

Ken in MO

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Told ya' Saanens are NOT the brightest animals....least mine aren't! I'm hoping outcrossing will at least put a "little" brain back in their heads! The American kids seem to be smarter than their purebred moms. :really

Oh, nothing a few years of therapy won't cure!
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Now that is funny Ken What are you going to call him??

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Oh, I'd have to call him, "STUPID"!
    Maybe shoestring?
    Twine, feedsack, GEEP...since he now thinks he's a blasted sheep! At least he's got the right color in mom, just a little confused on species.
    :rofl
    Kaye

9. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

poor baby.. at least he is nursing someone!

10. Normally we dont name animals...they are all numbered. But, this one might earn the right to a "real" name. Unlike the barn name some of the does have a milking time. That should not be repeated infront of children.

Ken in MO