Heat Treating Milk/Colostrum Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

We delivered triplets yesterday! :biggrin 2 doelings and 1 buckling. All three are sandgau alpines.

These are my first kids I am raising on CAE prevention.

Yesterday I milked 40 oz of colostrum out of the doe (a first freshener). I successfully heat treated it (wow, what a pain!) and fed it to the kids. Doelings each got 14 oz, buck got 12 oz. I know that is shy of the 20 oz that is recommended within the first 12 hours, but it is all I had.

This morning, I milked out the doe. Got 2 lbs 4 oz. It is much more like milk today (got a bit frothy in the milk pail). But it does seem to have a yellowish, colostrum tinge to it. My question is - how do I heat treat this? Treat it like colostrum? Or pasteurize it like milk?

Thanks! - I've got hungry kids wanting to know!
    PJ

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

same as yesterday heat treat for colostrum or else you will have pudding.

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Heat treat it. Mine turned to cottage cheese that 1st few days if heated to too high a temp. It is a pain isn't it?!

4. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks - I was afraid that was going to be the answer! LOL

Stirring and moving the double boiler on and off the burner for an hour while the kids were crying was pure torture! Someday I'll get enough that I can freeze the leftovers - but right now they're just first fresheners.

PJ

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You could easily put them on grocery store milk and save this second milking colostrum for the next batch of kids...and so on and so on. If the kids weighed 8 pounds they really only needed 16 ounces of colostrum...more is fine but out the 12 hour window it is a waste of colostrum. So save all your heat treating work for the next kids! Vicki

6. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

So let me see if I get this straight...

Milk after the first twelve hours still contains colostrum - so it can be used, just isn't as high quality as the first 12 hours.

Kids need twice their birthweight in colostrum in the first 12 hours. e.g. 6 pound kid needs 12 oz colostrum

After 12 hours, kids are no longer benefited by colostrum as they can't absorb it.

That certainly simplifies things,
    Thanks!!!
    PJ

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member