Heat treating colostrum?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, May 11, 2008.

1. Well its getting closer to the girls freshening and was wondering how does everyone heat treat colostrum???

Thanks

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Very slowly or you get pudding...and I use a double boiler.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Now with my new elec turkey fryer
    But before would heat it up to 136 degrees and have my thermos bottles tested and hot knowing they will hold the heat for 1 hr. pour in the colostrum and walk away.

4. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I use a double boiler and heat is SLOWLY to 135. I preheat a thermos with hot water and once the colostrumis at 135 I pour it into the thermos, put the lid on and wrap it up in towels and leave it for an hour.

I do have to admit heat treating colostrum ranks right up there on my list with shaving goats in 90 degrees. NOT my favorite activity.

5. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I use the Presto Kitchen Kettle from Wal Mart. It works like a double boiler and will stay at the correct temp. for hours.

Jolene

6. Thanks for the replies. :D I'll have to borrow Danny's thermos again then. I was hoping for a different way to heat treat. Oh well. Lol.

Thanks!

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well you can always just stand over it for an hour and stir :) :)

8. trnubian

trnubian New Member

That would be awful lol I have WAY too much to do to do that! lol

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do 1 to 5 gallons at a time and I do prefer to sit on a bar stool over it for an hour. I sell alot of heat treated colostrum and since my rep sort of goes with it, it's worth the effort. Plus it's really only 3 times at the most I have to heat treat per season. I have my colostrum ready for some fall kids and at least the first several litters of kids for next spring, this will give me time to gather up colostrum from the 4 who kid in the fall and heat treat it up and the 3 or 4 who kid first in the spring, keeping ahead of the demand. Can't even imagine doing it in a thermos, make sure and check after an hour that your colostrum truly is still at 135+...same with it in a ziplock, just because the water is doesn't mean the contents of the ziplock is. Mistakes ruin your reputation and cost you money. Vicki

10. Thanks for all the replies. I am not heat treating anything from Delilah. I'm just milking her out and giving it to her kids. I will not go through all the work to heat treat for kinder kids. Too much work. I am going to heat treat and freeze some of Hannah's colostrum though.

The kids will get pasturized milk though because I'm going to switch Milo (the purebred buckling) to goats milk. :) And im going to pasturize it all so I dont mess up and give him the unpasturized milk.