Heat/Pregnancy question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Hello! Newbie here so let me introduce myself. My name is Lauren and I currently have 6 NDs, 2 does, 1 buck, 1 wether and 2 babies (doeling and recent wether) Our breeding goals right now are just to build up a herd of the best stock we can afford and hopefully get into showing. My off-farm job is full time military service (USAF) and we live waaaay up north in North Dakota 55 miles from the Canadian border.

Anywho, here is my question: My doe kidded Sep 28, 2007 and I haven't noticed a heat since then. I did the math (since we bought her bred from a woman who did pen breeding) and came up with May 2 as the date she was bred so....can I calculate when her heat will be using this date or would the pregnancy "reset" her cycle? Thanks!

2. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Hey, well there are 2 Air force bases in ND (both in the northern part of the state), I am in NW North Dakota and there are a few goat people around. I have 2 Mini Nubians does and 2 full sized Nubian does. Welcome to the forum and to ND. Carolyn

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Welcome to the forum...

Your ND Doe will reset her cycles........My ND's started cycling again about 3 months after they had kidded....yours may vary from that a bit.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep pg messes with the hormones some will come right back into heat and some won't or you won't see it. especially now in later months or cooler months even with ND the changes in weather affect how obivious it is. At least that has been my experience.

5. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Thanks everyone! My husband and I are stationed at Minot...so dead center ND (I need a "freezing" smiley!)