Heat or Prebirth discharge?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Is thick white discharge a sign of heat or pre-birth?

Thanks.

-Kimberly

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Sounds like a heat to me as mine do this.

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

The vet book I read said that this discharge would be clear? Not thick and white. ? :shrug There is no tail flagging. I've placed her in the kidding pen just to be on the safe side. Am I over reacting?

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Mucous can be thick and white after ovulation.

Ya think? :)

In all seriousness, probably. Was she bred this spring?

Sara

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

KIM when was she bred?? Now like I think I told you last year I have one that has this mucousy white discharge every month whether bred or not. So knowing when she was bred will be a big help here.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

By the way I drove my self NUTS this whole last year because I didn't have a breed date on her. Come to find out after sending in blood in OCT nope she is not bred.

7. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I'll check on her in the morning and put her back in with the others at that time if she is okay. I feel embarrassed to be sharing this but I do not want to have any harm come because of the slight possibility of her producing kids at this time. Of course she is not flagging so if I place her in the main pen tomorrow she should be fine if it is heat, which is most likely the case. Right? As for a due date for this time period...? There isn't one. Her tail is a bit wet too, so this IS probably a heat. I just wanted to make doubly sure. Don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks. I feel better now.

And thank you Sondra. Makes me feel relieved. :)

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

But was she bred earlier this year (i.e. 5 months ago)?

A thick, white discharge indicates ovulation... meaning she is going out of heat and it is most likely too late for breeding on this heat cycle.

Sara

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

It is possible that she was bred five months ago. And I just barely put her in a separate pen tonight so maybe she was bred recently. Although I never caught her flagging her tail. :shrugs She's not that big though, so I'm thinking in might just be heat. The color and thickness of the discharge was what confused me. Thanks. I'm sure she'll be just fine and I'll put her in with the others in the morning.

10. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

As was expected, she's fine and in with the others again. :) Figured I'd give you the update, although I'm sure you already knew what the outcome would be. :D

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:biggrin :crazy

12. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Too funny Sondra. :rofl I'm not nearly so panicked this year but I still have questions as you can see. Silly ones if I might add. :lol