heat info?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i have 5 does, and i want to have 2 bred now. only my buck isn't making signs of wanting to, and i am not sure if the does are either. can i give a shot of lute and get them going?? get a buck rag from a real stinker? my boy doesn't seem smelly at all. he is polled, if that makes any diff.

i have lost a good amt. of milk production tho from just a few weeks ago, and i have noticed some fighting. i have today moved the buck (he has 2 girls with him now already, one of mine, one of a friends) in the next door pen of the dairy girls. he was across the yard. the fiesty baby boy that bred his sister a few days ago (i am still grumbling i did such a dumb thing!) is now across the yard with another baby boy. tonight i noticed a baby girl had a bit of goo under her tail. a couple milkers have a bit, but not much. i do not see any tails flagging or mounting of anyone! ugh. any advice?

ps...it has cooled down here pretty well, and gets dark by 8:30.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Lute will NOT work in a doe that isn't cycling normally. period! You "might" get a heat...but it won't be a fertile one. There has to be a mature egg to get a settle and you're not going to have a mature egg until they go through their first heat.
    OR you manipulate their heats with other drugs and implants. :lol I'm doing that right now.
    Or you load them for a show, the tester shows up, the buck gets out, oh,you know...all those things that you REALLY don't want them in heat for.? :rofl

In the Saanens and Obies you should start seeing natural heats in Sept.
    Kaye

3. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks! i have one little guy and he's already made use of his sister, ugh! but the one i want to be active just eats or fights! doesn't even smell yet.

that is a question i have--i have the nub. buck (born in jan.) with 2 girls, one i seen riding the other this morning. i put 'jolly' in the pen with my milkers for a short time, and all i got was fighting. then when i take him out, the noise! i have one nub doe i'd really like bred (a month ago!), and she keeps rubbing her face on him. but he doesn't seem to care, and is more interested in food. all the milkers seem to be fighting lately.

someone mentioned to take the 2 girls out of his pen. ok, i can do that, would it be ok to put the active 3 month old in with him? i have 2 bucklings that just haven't been gotten rid of yet, so should all 3 of them be roomies? this pen is right next to the milker pen, and they can smell each other, touch noses.

and what is the best way for me to put him with the milkers to breed? put him in with them, put them in with him, put the happy couple into a diff. pen alone? i really dont' want to just let them go, so i know when to expect kids. but i don't have all day to watch the action (or lack thereof!). and would it be smart to get a really rank buck rag? would that jump things off? thanks