Head stuck in panel...... What the heck do I do...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Jul 26, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok I have one of my Alpines with her head stuck in a panel. She got it through, but I cant seem to help her get her head out. Going back out to try to bend the panel - hope I dont have to cut it.... Any suggestions..... I know most of you are probably in bed..

Thanks,
    Shawna

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

If you can't wiggle it back through, then get out the bolt cutters :/ :/

If you have to cut it, you can cut just one side and bend it to get her head out and then bend it back. It's still cut, but you won't be missing a bar.

Tracy

3. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thanks, um ya do I have bolt cutters LOL - I have something that might work.... will go try that...

Shawna

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

Tracy,

Thank you so much!! I grabbed my horse hoof nippers and was able to cut through the fence. Thank goodness they are old and I only use them to pull shoes off of clients horses. If I would have had to use my good GE nippers that run 150 bucks she might have just had to have oil dumped on her head LOL.

We are heading up to Pocatello once our house sells, I hope to get the chance to meet you someday. My daughter is heading up there the end of the month to start school.

Thanks again!
    Shawna

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep goat owners without boltcutters...no a good idea if you have horned goats and cattle panels...I have 4 pair all different sizes...

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

You can usually get a goat's head out without bolt cutters. If you push on the goat's head, they will just push forward. You have to pick up a goat's front leg and pull her backwards. If you have help, then have your partner turn the goat's head sideways as you pull. With a little work - the head will usually come out.

7. I usually have help. One person on the inside pulls the goat. While the other pushes their head back through. We had to do that with the pygmy buck a few times. Ick. lol

But I do keep bolt cutters on hand because there are those times where nothing works.

8. shawhee

shawhee Member

Chaty - I don't have any horned goats - Susie is an Alpine with a big head :biggrin, silly girl, I put some feed out at first thinking that the food monger of my little herd would pull her head back through; but to no avail she pulled and I pulled and her head was not coming back through (and she was getting upset that she could not get to the food) so I cut the panel as Tracy suggested.

Thanks,
    Shawna

9. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

We have an ancient, realy O-L-D Suffolk ewe with a huge head. She lived with the does until we got my daughter's flock started. Well, she would alway stick her head through the panels! And since they are stall fronts, I really didn't want to cut them. So, we (DD and I) would pull and twist and lure the old gal out. It took a lot of work as well as time to get her un-stuck. Well, one night my husband and I went down to the barn to check on everyone and there's Mama Ewe with her head stuck tight through the panel! I groan about how hard it is and how it will take the two of us to pull her out when BAM! My Alpine doe butts her hard in the side and POP! Mama is free!! :) Quite simple! Very quick and effective! She's off with a flock of sheep now and no longer getting her head stuck...except when we had the lambs creep area. That did require bolt cutters. Silly old gal!

10. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

When big bucks get their heads stuck, I use it as an opportunity to tend their hooves, give shots, even shampoo them. Lemonade out of lemons :D

11. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Good one, I will have to remembr that.
    Clay

12. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Diane! What a good idea. I always panic when one of ours appears to get their head stuck. We had one get strangled in a fence so it freaks me out. We have had to resort to bolt cutters only once.

13. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I think goats do this on purpose to scare us half to death...while they laugh and snicker at our antics! I used to have a rack on the OUTSIDE of the pasture gate that I hung horse halters on. It was very handy indeed. Well, one curious doe, decided one morning to try on not one halter, but TWO! Unfortunately, she had no idea how they went on, and they were too big for her too, but she tried anyway, and ended up wound up tighter than a tick in both of those halters. Luckily I was home at the time and noticed her standing by the fence for an abnormally long amount of time. She was resuced this time, and the halters were moved, but I always wonder what they'll find next to adorn themselves?
    Anita

14. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

In the past it was only the odd goat with horns or scurs that got hung in the fence, but one day last week I had to pull a disbudded earless round smooth LaMancha head out of a fence...now that was a tight fit! How she did that, I don't know.

15. goatkid

goatkid New Member

We've occasionally had to cut panels to remove goats without horns, but it's usually the bucks. If you're moving to Pocatello, you'll have to check out the big goat show they have in Blackfoot. I went there several years ago. It's held in September. Kathie