Having a dismal summer

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

The weather has really put a damper on our market this year. It's either rainy or very windy 90% of the market days. The couple of good weather days we've had I did very well. Yesterday, I didn't even bother getting my soap out as it started raining before we even got the tables out. I sold my baked goods between the raindrops, then left. We had high hopes for Sat., the day after the holiday and we ended up having hail and torrential rains. (Didn't go as it all started before the market hours and continued most of the a.m.) I haven't made any soap in weeks and have plenty in stock though I am low on a few scents I don't even feel like making it. Feeling rather defeated.

Oh, but the one really good day we had, the owner of a local B&B stopped at my table and asked if I'd ever considered wholesale and that she thought my soap would be good in her shop. I had hoped one day to approach her but I am not a people person! Anyway, I wasn't prepared and stammered all over myself. Ended up giving her a bar to take home a try and gave her my card. I guess I need to follow up. Think I could just send dh? Did I say, I am not a people person??? This is what I want but then I don't want to do what I know I need to, to get there. *sigh*

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh Kathy don't shoot yourself in the foot like that. Just go for it. Practice what to say at home in the mirror. Have a speal...something that flows out of your mouth when you can't think. You know your products, does your husband really?

I know shyness can be dibilatating, and it's not a problem I have ever had...I always have this as my montra. All they can do is say no. I am only in control of myself nobody else. Nobody is noticing if I am fat today or having a bad hair day... they are all too worried about themselves. And when ever two or more are gathered together....... someone wants to be in control, and that is going to be me :)

You can do this!

And if you are religious, god gives us opportunities and gifts and when we do nothing with them he doesn't give us more. She walked up to you! There isn't any better opportunity than that. Set a pricing structure which includes wholesale...look at mine on my website, look at others, give her a good price so she can make a profit also. Don't offer wholesale for your whole line if it is too overwhelming, pick 5. Or let her order set your wholesale line. Also don't ever tell wholesale accounts you will stock...send the soap USPS...go to USPS.com and set up an account to do flat rate labels they look professional without doing anything :) Vicki

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Kathy, I agree with Vicki, I am not much of a people person either, but if you get me talking goats or soap, the words flow out.. they are my two passions so I can talk them.. Just be yourself, what a wonderful opportunity for you that she approached you... Practice in mirror and let her know why goat milk soap is so good for people and good for skin.. Ask her if she has any questions for you and be prepared to answer them.. Make a poster to sit beside your soap in her store, that tells why it is a good product and that you milk your own goats, people like the family thing.. Put a pic or two on it.. But mostly let people know what your product can do for THEM... that is what they want to hear.. why they should buy it..
    and don't do commmission.. sell her wholesale..
    Barbara

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Thanks for the boost of confidence ladies. :)

5. Spicer Creek Goats

Spicer Creek Goats New Member

I understand where Kathy is coming from. I also am not a real people person. I have approached a couple businesses and they make you feel very inferior. I gave samples and the lady asked me how much I charged. I told her I would wholesale 4 oz bars for $3.00 and she told me there was no way she could make any money on it-like I was trying to rip her off. And this is a local business- not like she would have to pay shipping! I would deliver them to her. I haven't done any farmers markets like I wanted to because everyone wants you to have a vendors license and insurance up the wazoo. I would just like to go to maybe four shows a year and sell soap--just not that easy I guess. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I do understand. It can be very disheartening. Hope you have better luck, Kathy. Julie

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Most goat milk soaps retail for $1 an ounce, a little higher in higher end stores. You can't expect a store to buy your soap, stock your soap and get $1 a bar. Vicki

7. Spicer Creek Goats

Spicer Creek Goats New Member

So how much profit margin is enough? This same store owner had some other handmade soap (not goat milk) for sale-it was a 4oz bar-for $6.95. So she is making $3.95 or more if she paid less than $3.00 wholesale. Am I thinking wrong?

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Wow....$6.95 for a 4 oz bar is great. At that price I don't know why she'd balk at $3 per bar. My bars are 4.5 oz and sell for $4 but in a store I'd say $4.50 retail so I'm willing to go $2.25 for me wholesale.

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Fake it till you make it Kathy - that's my Mantra. And it generally works, but I'm pretty gregarious and outgoing myself.

Wholesale - GAH! I've got this guy in NY that is trying to get my soap to start a business - he's convinced he's going to make a million bucks. :laughcry I just want to yell at him, "hey buddy, if there was a mil to be made don't you think I would have done it by now?" He is making me crazy, Trying to talk me down, etc. I have 5 oz bars and I am about to put my price up from $5 to $5.50 because of the astronomical jump in costs and even then I think it should really be $6. I tell my wholesale clients the suggested retail of my bars is $6.00 and then do like Vicki and Christy do. 36 bars shipped flat rate for $118 which includes flat rate shipping. This guy is emailing me, "My market won't support more than $3 retail for a bar. I want them made for $1.50. What if I paid for supplies and then gave you an hourly wage?"

What???? I told him my price was my supplies plus my hourly wage which wasn't as much as he must think it is. I have told this guy to find another soaper 3 TIMES because he has just ticked me off with all his bargaining and wanting custom stamping, etc. Told him maybe soap wasn't for him if he couldn't sell soap for $5-$6 dollars a bar. This guy is crazy because you know what - HE HASN'T EVEN TRIED MY SOAP!!! I'm sure he will love it, but he's talking all this "your the best, blah, blah, blah" whatever.

So now finally he wants the 36 bar deal after all the crap. I told him no more negotiating, this was it, cut and dry, I don't have time for more than that. If it works out it will be some kind of miracle with this guy...I'll give him an A for persistence but his business sense fails miserably!

Sorry for the vent...back to your regular scheduled programing... :/

Yep, so Kathy, fake it till you make it and all that :blush

10. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh Bethany....what a character he must be.

Well, today is Sat./market day and guess what? I woke up to heavy rain clouds and rain. So once again, no market. Checked the weather and it is supposed clear around noon (when the market ends) and stay clear from now until Wednesday which is, you guessed it, the next market day. :LOL

But I did get a nice order from a regular customer so at least I sold *some* soap this week. :LOL