Haven't seen kids poop

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, May 1, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Should I see kid poop in the kidding pen? The twins are 2 days old and I haven't seen either of them poop or pee at all. Frosty (mom) is always licking their behinds. I haven't spent an amazing amount of time with them because I've been busy attending to Frosty's engorged udder. I cleaned the stall today but didn't pay any attention. It just occured to me I havent seen any poop or pee. Normal or worrisome?

Thanks,
    Tiffany

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I did not see any poo from my little buckling the first few days. I think their dams take care of it, but not sure.

3. Truly

Truly New Member

If you have dogs, they will clean up the poops. Ask me how I know.

4. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Mmmm-hmmm. We call our dogs the clean up crew.

Mom will lick to stimulate the first movements. Not sure if she ends up eating it like our dogs do or not. :( You should start seeing them soon.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

One of our dogs was only with them a short while yesterday. Frosty wouldn't go out to pasture and leave her babies until Lala, the Great Pyr went in with them. Guess that shows where I stand in the group. I was hoping to spend some quality time with the kids, but Lala took over. She loves them. I had to drag her out of the pen when Frosty came back in because Lala wouldn't leave them alone. She wouldn't stop licking their butts. She is pregnant herself and her motherly instincts have definitely kicked in.

I'm going to go clean the pen in a little bit. I will look for kid poop this time.

Tiffany

6. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I would go and but a little warm water up there back ends and make sure they are going.
    Or you can use a glycerin suppositories just cut it to the right size for a small kid.
    Fran

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If they are eating and playing most likly you just aren't seeing it.

8. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I gave them an enema and they pooped the yellow stuff. I think the mom is cleaning up after them because when I went to look at it a bit later it was gone.

Thanks guys.