Have you used Buck Power and do you like it?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by [email protected], Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

We do have an otherwise excellent mineral but I've always been interested in this Buck Power mineral. In the summer one of our bucks got meningeal worm and he hasn't been normal since. Slow to breed, but that might be because his back leg was affected. We had a doe come over for breeding to him and he took forever to do it. Seems like since after the nasty cold snap he got weaker than he was before.

Gosh, this is a really two part question. Do you think Buck Power will help him, and is there anything else we can do to help him?

He's been wormed with Valbazen and ivermectin within the last two weeks, gets about a cup and a half of whole grains and alfalfa pellets mixed, get's grass and alfalfa hay, warm water daily, had his hoof trims and vaccines late fall/early winter.

I need to get him bred to my Kinder's just in case we loose him.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I sent you a pm on my reasoning behind using buck power.

Yes, I do think it helps in libido and sperm quality/quanity. My suggestion would be to start using it 1-2 months before you intend to use him for breeding.

As dexamethasone effects the sperm quality, you might try using banamine on him in conjunction with the buck power to get those does bred. The area that was damaged by the MW will become inflammed...much like arthritis in us in the cold. It seems to affect bucks more in the cold than warmer months. At least here.
    Kaye

3. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

That sounds good Kaye. I have been thinking of using the Buck Power since being recommended it by semen collectors.
    Les

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

This wasn't my first time to use it. I've used it in the past on bucks to be collected and just thought it to be "fluff", so I didn't have the below mentioned buckling on it. My $50-no freeze-mistake!
    I can attest to the difference it made in "trying" to get a young buck collected ~a no go~ and 30 days later...the quantity/quality of sperm collected and processed after just a month on it. I got my "insurance policy" in the tank!
    He'd settle does just fine...but semen wasn't good enough to withstand the freeze. It WAS after the buck power.
    Next year...young bucks to be collected, will be started on it before breeding season up to collection. Lesson learned.
    Kaye

5. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

What is Buck Power and where do you get it?

6. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Buck Power is mineral that is sold by caprine supply for bucks.

Thanks for the information Kaye. I appreciate it.

7. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Kaye,
    You got any good ideas on getting bucks to eat their minerals??? In all my years of raising goats, the bucks just are not that interested in minerals. I've been using the Buck Power for a couple of years, but I find a lot of it in the bottom of the trough, where the bucks root the feed around, and the minerals are left. And it's too pricey to have them waste it.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

So far the bucks here eat it topdressed over their feed. They are on a grain mix rather than pellets. The mineral sticks to the grain. I also feed them small amounts twice a day. Just what they will clean up.
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Janie same here. I know Tim Pruitt has used it also with excellent results.

I am also going to go back to using a textured feed so I can 'stick' the minerals to both my kids and bucks next year. Vicki

11. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I use a textured feed too, but my bucks still waste minerals.

12. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Does anyone pour a little veg oil over the feed and then the minerals. I have not done this but hear it works.

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I used to do that for their AC, I know I have to do something for minerals also...mine just refuse to even look at it. Vicki

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

How much are you putting in their grain? I only use 1/2 teaspoon per buck per feeding. So in all they get a teaspoon a day. Even in a cup of feed it's dispersed pretty well. During rut, depending on the degree of weight loss, a buck can get from 1 lb to 3 lbs a day. During the spring and summer they get B & B. LOL...bread and brush. That's for the 3 mature bucks...the bucklings will be kept penned so I can coccidia treat and moniter growth. This year the bucks will be turned out together on 7 1/2 acres with lots of browse. Since I rarely show bucks (all my breeds are generally lumped into AOP :mad) they won't be kept in show condition. No need. Then in August they will be brought up and put in their respective pens for breeding.

Yes, I've added corn oil to their grain to entice both buck and does to eat some additives to their grain. Now, I use BOSS to get the same effect as the oil and the goats like them better. ;) They cost more!
    Kaye

15. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Kaye, I'm putting about a teaspoon per day. When I go back for the following feeding, all the feed is gone and there is minerals in the trough. With my feed having molasses, I don't know how the mature bucks filter them out!! It's frustrating. I've added the Buck Power to the feed and shook it so it will mix. Had a horse when I was a kid that could filter out anything added to his grain - when he got through filtering, then he would turn his trough over - letting me know that he wasn't fooled!!!