Have you ever tried this recipe?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by FourMileFarm, Mar 7, 2008.

1. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Has anyone ever tried this recipe?

http://feedmethat.com/recipe.php?id=64756 Seafarer's Soap.html

I am really wanting to try a liquid soap, so I made this today. It is a TINY recipe, so at least if it doesnt turn out good, I wont have wasted much!

I am curious if you tried it, and how you liked it. Or if you think it might not work out for whatever reason?

THANKS!

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I have that book, and while I have never made this exact recipe, I do make liquid soap alot... some of the steps are simply not necessary at all..
    Just mix your ingredients together, heat in a double boiler and cook for a few hours, pour into jar and let it cure (sequester).. It is not necessary to strain the soap at all.. any undissolved bits will melt into the soap...
    Barbara

3. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Thank you Barbara! :D

Cook for a few hours? Holy moly, it only said to cook for 15 minutes... and it began to thicken within that time frame.

I would like to add borax to this recipe after trying this first batch as it is.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do that?

How much borax and at what point would I add it?

Thanks so much! We cant wait to try it out.
    Rachel

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Ok, once your soap turns to vaseline stage, you can cook for approximately three hours in a double boiler, this helps soap cure faster or to turn neutrel faster..
    Once it has reached the final cooking stage you can add you water to it to thin it down.. Adding only two ounces at one time and letting it set to absorb the water.. and thin out.. sometimes it will seem too thick but don't get to itchy and add too much water or you will have water thin liquid soap..
    I will look up the borax amount and post it for you.. this will also thicken your soap a little and add a little suds booster to it.. I let my LS sequester for a weeek or two, it really mellows it out nice and mild.. You will love this stuff..
    Towards the end of the cook, if you want to superfat it, that is when you add your glycerin or whatever you are superfatting with..
    Barbara