Have you ever heard....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 23, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Have you ever heard....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....of an Alpine going into heat at this time of the year? (MAY) She is only about 7 weeks fresh. She has been VERY vocal lately and I can not figure it out. The only changes is: The buckling is (still young but...) able to breed I think. AND there was a new (yearling doe) addition to the herd.

Despite the fact that I really do not know why she is vocal I was very curious..... is it possible for her to go into heat? Seeing as how she is an Alpine, it is May and she is about 7 weeks fresh? ???

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I haven't seen an Alpine cycle this time of year. My guess is that she's reacting to having a new herdmate. Kathie

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That is what I was hoping. She is SOOO not ready for another pregnancy. And the new buckling's yard is still under construction. He will be 11 weeks old this sunday. I'm sweating it, hoping I don't have any year-round does. Except for one of course. I wouldn't mind fall kids from her... but I'm still hoping time is on my side, so I can "plan" these breedings and not wonder about due dates again. Ugh. :lol

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get that fence ready ASAP he is getting old enough for possibilities. and her hormones are kicking in at this stage. Even tho not exactly in heat.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I've had my Nubians have strong heat cycles in June (at a SHOW!). Not what I wanted but it certainly can happen. You need to get that buckling out of her pen.

Sara

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you all, we are going up and checking out supplies today. Yicks! I sure hope he hasn't done anything. :(

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Phew.... The buck pen/yard has been built. I think I need a good rest now. :)

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

GOOD FOR YOU!!

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

MY does are cycling now :really what a pain. :crazy

10. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I am resting now but I believe I sprained my arm. Ouch. Oh well. At least it is done and I am breathing a big sigh of relief. LOL