Hauling goat idea/thoughts...(car??)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by JumpinIrish4ever, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JumpinIrish4ever

JumpinIrish4ever New Member

Ok, we have a show tomorrow. We had planned to take a dog crate that would fit in the back seat of my small car. Everything was great until we realized that the crate will NOT fit with a carseat in the back as well.

Soooo...my husband took out all the trunk stuff (where the spare tire goes, etc). We are thinking of lining the trunk with a tarp and then straw. It would only been two 4 month old kids that we are hauling.

Do you think this would be ok??? I don't have much of a back up plan left. LOL The show is 2 hours away if that matters.

2. hyamiranda

hyamiranda New Member

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable putting them in the truck. Do you have a smaller crate that will accommodate the kids?

3. Horsehair Braider

Horsehair Braider New Member

I hauled a kid home with me in a big box once. I had not planned on buying a goat at this show... you know how it is... So we found a big box, put some straw in the bottom, put a tarp on the outside of the box, and I put the box on the floor of the passenger seat in the truck. (The back of the truck was filled with my show stuff - booth, display etc.) Don't tell my husband... he still does not know I hauled a goat in the front seat of that truck, and even though we sold that truck he would still be incredulous and annoyed.

Details: I left the top of the box open. She was wearing a collar and a leash, and I had the leash pushed through the bottom of the box and tied to the truck, so she could not jump out. I stopped at rest areas along the way home (I was about 7 hours from home) and walked her in the pet areas... :D You should have seen the stares. This was an Angora goat, and people kept trying to see her as a poodle or something.

I've hauled goats in the back part of a hatchback too. Again, I lined the area with a tarp "just in case" and put down straw. The straw almost makes more mess than the goats do. I always tied them in so they would not jump up in the front seat and start helping me drive. The funny part about doing that is, they are silent until you get to a stop light, then they start screaming at the top of their lungs so that everyone notices you have goats in your car.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You could line the back seat of your car with a tarp and put leashes on your goats - or you could put the car seat in front and then your kennel would fit in the back seat. If you are planning to attend more shows, you might want to trade your car for a station wagon. You could then get one of those dog barriers to keep the goats contained.

5. Pam V

Pam V New Member

My Neon has a split seat and both or either fold down. If yours is like that then you would be able to see them...kind-of like an extention to thebac seat.
    Or not???

6. JumpinIrish4ever

JumpinIrish4ever New Member

Thanks everyone. We got a smaller crate and all worked well!

7. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

I used to haul my goats to the shows in the back seat of my big old car. We took the back seat out, put down a tarp and added shavings and hay on top of that. They dashed in and out of the trunk because the back seat opened into it.

Now I have a mini van with both back seats removed. The back is lined with tarps and I use it just like a pick up to haul hay, firewood, shavings, sled dogs, goats, groceries, trash to the dump or anything else that needs hauling!

8. freedomfrom4

freedomfrom4 Member

There is a waterproof 54" x54" square that is sposed to be a seat cover for dogs. It comes with an extra piece to block the space in between the front seats so the dog can't get up front. I was wondering how that would work. Tarps aren't very water proof.

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Not advice because it wont apply but we once hauled two milkers from Colorado down to TX-in the back of a 15 passenger van that was RENTED from Budget, LOL!

We tied up a heavy-duty tarp and heavily layered it with wood shavings. Pull out the tarp, dump the shavings, vacuum it at the carwash and voila! You'd never have known that it hauled livestock!

10. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I always haul the goats in the back of my cars. I use a tarp or a vinyl table cloth or something similar and then on top layer a few old blankets. As stated above, hay or shaving really make a bigger mess than anything else. The blankets absorb any pee and can be washed for the next trip.

11. couto_123

couto_123 New Member

I have a Saturn and use a large crate in the back seat. I put a heavy plastic down on the seat and up the back. my crate has to go in, in sections, will not fit in door otherwise.
    MJ

12. freedomfrom4

freedomfrom4 Member

eewww. All this talk of ickyness is grossing me out tonight. Sometimes things bother me and sometimes they don't, but tonight I say eewww goat pee blankets.

13. Horsehair Braider

Horsehair Braider New Member

Believe me, I've heard worse...

14. sarafina

sarafina New Member

LOL. Me too. It scares me sometimes to think what it would take to gross me out these days!

15. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Really? With all of the stuff we do with our animals, a cup of goat pee on a blanket grosses y'all out? I guess there are a few things that still gross me out but goat pee is not one of them.

16. freedomfrom4

freedomfrom4 Member

Pee period is gross. I've worked as a CNA for years and I'm so tired of dealing with excrement, be it human or critter. Pee stinks so bad from people first thing in the morning that the thought of pee grosses me out. I think my sensetivity is hormone related to certain times of the month.