Has anyone used IverCare for lung worms in a pregnant doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hamilton40, Oct 25, 2008.

1. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Has anyone used IverCare (Ivermectin 1.87% Paste) for lung worms in a pregnant doe? I know that this is a wormer for horses but it was recommended to me by a large breeder here and I ordered some but I thought I should check with everyone on here to be sure. I have been told that my goats have lung worms, I have suspected it for some time but I have also been told that it is just all of our dust (Arizona desert) but all of the signs point to lung worms. They all have a cough, They all have a little runny nose (my buck has a more runny nose then the girls), No temperature, a good appetite, and plenty of energy.

Can I give this to a bred doe (bred late August)?

Can I give this to a nursing doe (kidded 10-22)?

If I use this what is the milk withdraw time?

If you don't like this what would you recommend for this situation?

Thanks for any info and or advise on this.

Clay

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Clay I would first get a fecal done to know exactly what your dealing with and then I would use Ivormec plus which also has a flukicide. the fecal needs to have a bariman (sp) test done . Any vet should be able to do it or send it off for this test
    I personally have no experience with the paste horse wormer.

3. haeema

haeema New Member

OK, "STUPID QUESTION COMING"

4. haeema

haeema New Member

I have been told that Ivrmectin Plus would kill goats. This was from a man who raised Boars. He said he tried it and several died. I didn't get the dosage he was giving but it sure did scare me!!

5. I know people who give Ivermectin Plus and there goats are still alive and healthy. :)
    I have used Ivercare on my goats before. But I agree with Sondra, get a fecal done so you know for sure what you are dealing with. :)

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I know for sure that Vicki uses Ivormec Plus I use it and the way I use it is that cydectin is given first and followed up 10day later with Ivormec Plus then all bases are covered. By the way both are given orally.

7. haeema

haeema New Member

Thank you for your input!!!

8. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Thanks for the replies
    Amy have you used it on bred does and do you know anything about milk withdraw times for it.
    Thanks
    Clay

9. Sorry Cant help with the withdraw but yes I have used in on bred does. I used Ivercare on my pygmys which is why I dont know about withdraw times since I dont milk them. When I first started (Pygmys, not dairy.) out I used Safeguard and Ivercare. Also have used Equimax...also on bred does.

10. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Ivomec plus did kill one of my bucks. Let me say though, he was full of worms. I had tried the wrong wormers, and he just kept getting worse. Now, I fecal. Learned my lesson the hard way. I would still use Ivomec plus when needed, but it is a strong drug. Do not use on extremely wormy sp? animals. Vet told me that after buck died, failed to mention it when I said that was what I was going to use it. BTW, they did the fecal and still didn't warn me.

Wendy

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The thing with Ivormectin is that it can impact the goats this is what causes the problems you here of and death. Using cydectin first and then ivormectin you won't have the problem with impaction.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I don't really believe all that too many worms used a wormer the goat died stuff, sorry. I have wormed herds of broker goats coming in from the worst of care and have never had a goat die from worm die off.

Ivermectin or any ivermectin paste is fine for use with lungworm. Ivermectin Plus gives you the extra bonus of liverfluke control...and I agree if you don't need to use a flukecide I would not use it, especially in the first trimester of the goats pregnancy.

Milkwithdrawl is 28 days or there about. But is it the drug in the milk? I would doubt it, it is likely the carrier, because with a change of carrier with Eprinix pouron given orally there is zero milk withdrawal because it does not bind in the fat (meat or butterfat of the milk). I don't use Ivermectin during lactation because it doesn't work for HC worms which is our problem worm, but when I did I did milkwithdrawal for 48 hours. We WISH the wormer could stay in the system and in the milk for 28 DAYS!!! WE also wish that it was that easy to get something into the udder period, like antibiotics to even treat mastitis! So alot of us think most milk withdrawal info is bunk, the idea that Ivermectin is in the blood stream for 28 days being made into milk is just stupid. It isn't even in the bloodstream after 12 hours. Like milk is sitting in a pocket somewhere and it takes 28 hours for the milk to filter out the ivermectin? Where is the logic? vicki

13. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Thank you Vicki and Amy and everyone else that has responded to this. I feel a little better about using it.
    Thanks
    Clay