Has Anyone Used Bovine Pinkeye Vaccines for Goats?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Upon A Rock Farm, Jun 23, 2008.

1. I have had a mammoth pinkeye problem this year. Long lasting, some goats getting it again, etc. It is winding down now, but it was a major hassle here this spring. I am wondering if anyone has tried using the bovine pinkeye vaccinations off label.

Thanks
    Julie

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

No. Different antibodies. Regardless of all the people that do vaccinate with the Bovine vaccine. I heard this said at a show and cringed. I wasn't asked for my opinion, nor was the vet penned near me. I think we both cringed at the same time. :nooo

If you had any mastitis to go along with that pinkeye...I'd suspision mycoplasma.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And I would give everyone rounds of tetracycline. Not only is most goat pinkeye chlamydia or mycoplasma they both cause abortions. When you have an abortion storm in the fall, my first question to you will be, did you have pinkeye last fall. If you don't milk for house milk or sales then a feed through (in goatkeeping 101 thanks Tim and Mary) if you do use the milk, than give 200mg tetracycline injections...3.5cc per 100 pounds for at least 5 days subq every 12 hours. It's cheap insurance and so is using a feed through when you dry up the does the last 50 days until they freshen. It and foot rot is actually what tetracylcines are for. Vicki

4. Renegade59

Renegade59 New Member

Is the milk still usable while does are on say Biomycin for treatment? Label says 96 hours milk withdrawal time........

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We know that tetracycline is not useful in treating mastitis, so for me, no it doesn't not go into the milk. So, it's up to you if you want to drink it or not...certainly you wouldn't sell it or drink it if you had allergies to tetracycline. Vicki

6. Renegade59

Renegade59 New Member

Thanks, Vicki! This is our first year and even though trying to do things right we are ending up with our share of problems. Here in Illinois the temps have been bouncing all over the place and it's like monsoon season up here. Pinkeye seems to be our latest problem. This site has been a blessing for someone just starting out.