Has Anyone Tried Using Scours Vaccines that are Sold for Calves?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Upon A Rock Farm, Apr 18, 2008.

1. I have has alot of trouble this year with scouring kids. My standbys of Sulfa and Spectam Scour Halt have not helped. I clean the Lamb Bar every 24 hrs with hot soapy water and bleach. I was looking at the variety fo calf vaccines that are available at Jeffers to help prevent scouring in calves form various bacteria. I wonder if I have anything to lose by trying this, although I am aware that it may be too late for these sick kids.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

At what age are your kids getting the scours? And could you give some of the symptoms?

I currently use Bar Guard E. Coli vaccine, and have for the past 3 yrs.
    Kaye

3. These kids are all about 4-6 weeks old, on goat milk and whole cow's milk, eating creep pellets with deccox and hay. The diarrhea is pale yellow and watery.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Instead of vaccines just yet, how about spending the money on tests. Have fecals ran. Do the basics first.

Standing water around?
    Are you adding water to the milk?
    Are you ultra clean with their pellets?
    Are you consistant with the temp of the milk?
    Have you tasted the goat milk and it is fine? Mastitic milk can cause scours in kids.
    The problem with alot of vaccines is that the scours it protects are cattle based and dont' relate to goats. Kaye has wonderful luck with the ecoli vaccine, but you would know it is ecoli from the vial smell in your barn.
    At 4 to 6 weeks old in my barn the 6 week old kids would be on their second round of cocci prevention and had been wormed twice, the 4 week olds would be on their first round and wormed last week....do you use prevention like this? Deccox pellets are fine on older kids, but young ones like this aren't eating enough to keep the blood level of the drug up, so you have outbreaks. And the drug level is also not high enough for the pellets to work as treatment.

I would worm, use banamine and treat with corid for 5 days, then perhaps put the kids on a sulfa treatment for bacterial scours afterwards. Fecaling runny poop is iffy sometimes. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat If they are that old...then even the vaccines won't help. It has to be given at birth, while the antibodies are still being absorbed into the system like the colostrum. It's given orally.

I'd lean toward cocci and/or worms.
    Kaye

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Kaye, Would using the Bar Guard E. Coli vaccine at birth be a good vaccine to use for dam raised kids ? Is it a 1 time vaccine ? and how much do you give ? Where do you buy your vaccine from ?
    Thank You

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you have E. Coli diagnosed, then it is about the only way to stop it from killing kids. They generally develop uncontrollable scours at 3-5 days old. It can wipe out a whole kid crop without using the vaccine or a 50/50 shot at treatments after they get it. STRONG antibiotics, fluids, and keeping the intestines coated to prevent damage to the lining.

Yes, one time. I give it at birth, before colostrum. I give 5cc orally. The tubes of Bar Guard 99 are 10ml dose for calves-5 ml for kids. I buy it from Livestock Concepts...least expensive place to buy it.
    Kaye

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Thanks Kaye, I will keep your vaccine and dose ready in my med section ,just in case . I am for preventing sickness before it happens.