Has anyone ever...?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 13, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:help Has anyone ever banded a 2 or 3 year old nigerian buck, or heard of it being done? Any adverse reactions because of his age that I need to worry about? I'm thinking about doing it to a buck I just reinherited so he will NOT get to my does like he did last year. Is there any reason why I should not attempt this in a buck his age? Please help.

Thanks.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't think you can get his jewels in the bands unless maybe those for cattle but at his age I doubt it very much If your not going to use him as a buck then get rid of him, would be my solving of this problem

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Age, fly season? I think that is verging on cruilty even with the zip ties they use on bulls. Perhaps if you could come up with some form of pain management. Knife castration is the way to go, using a clamp while it's being done makes it pretty bloodless, then cut off the scrotum at the clamp.....then spray and spray and spray with fural when you release the clamp, it's so freaking cold it freezes where you cut off, and stops the bleeding instantly. Tetanus beforehand is a must of course. Vicki

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Sondra, I hope to get rid of him asap but if I can't I do NOT want a repeat of last year with my alpines. It would ruin everything as I already have reservations on two of my does.

Vicki, I did not consider fly season. Thank you for the alternate instructions. If I can't find a home quick, I'll have to do something. :(

I don't want to do it at all, but.... :shrug

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just slow cook him will make good BBQ :)

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:rofl I would, but assured the woman that can not keep him (and who was in tears) that I would not let him be eaten. He is "her baby" but became too much for her to handle. I guess the old saying that some people can handle bucks and some can't is true. :sigh

Oh well.

Anyone interested in a FREE goat? :biggrin

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well like my two 4 yr old weathers they just went to a very very nice farm home else where.
    course that was over the rainbow bridge.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Than she should take him back or pay for the castration? Don't ever take or buy goats with 'hooks' that come back to bite you in the end :) vicki

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I didn't. This is one that I sold to a family friend that is just getting into goats. She could not handle a buck afterall and I (out of the kindness of my crazy heart) am taking him back so I can find a different home for him. (Hopefully soon.)

While I have him on the farm, which I hope is not long at all, I am paranoid that he will get loose and either hurt my other goats or impregnat my yearling.

He has horns by the way. The lady is now nervous with him. Loves him to death but is a bit timid and has already felt his horns on her shins. ???

I wanted to make good with her. I did not want to sell her something that was going to turn around and hurt her. What else was I suppose to do? :shrug

The buck was origionally a gift along with a doe. Which they now own as well, and is preg.

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:O OUCH !!!!!!!!!

However I have a buckling that's 4mo. and he's breeding everything :mad ,little devil has a doe bleeding or else it's him at his you know what and then maby our boer buck horned him but he's still after all the doe's , I would BBQ him if the guy dont come saturday to get him :mad Sometimes we just have to D-nut them to calm them down,no matter what age.

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Guess what!? Problem solved. My friend is going to find a home for him herself. He butted her once too often. This morning was the last time. :crazy She said she would take care of him herself. I have to admit that I am a bit relieved. I am still willing to help, but am glad that she is taking care of him. :whew

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That sounds good and she doesn't need a buck with horns if she can't handle him that is for sure.

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Yup. She is getting my disbudded wether instead. A much better arrangement for her I believe.