Hanging UN-detatched placenta/cord

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Clear my mind please , The Boer doe that had triplets this morning still has not let the placenta out as it's hanging , some came out as she is stepping on it and she still has the urge to P, as she keeps trying to P when she get's up, she acts like she may be cramping ......... What do I do ? :crazy

2. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I am no expert here, but last spring my vet gave me oxytocin and told me to only use it for a retained placenta. Luckily though, I never had to use it. Maybe you could research a little online if that would help in case nobody else gets on here to help you out tonight. I'm probably one of the last people you want to get advice from, but my vet did tell me that so I thought I'd share it.
    Anita

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Thanks Anita, I dont have any Oxytocin ,so I will call the vet in the morning. I did however give her a real good tummy massage and later the long piece fell off, there is still some hanging tho and I havent seen any placenta's but she could have ate them as they were born and dry when I found them this morning. I had thought about tieing that mess up as she didn't want to go in her house with kids with it dragging . :?

4. I bet it is out by tomorrow. I've had does take as long to expel the placenta. I haven't ever had one go over 24 hours, but I've had them go for 12 hours and expel it sometime while I was not watching overnight. Don't be alarmed when it is gone if you don't find it. Many does will eat the placenta. She is nursing her kids, right? (she's a Boer) The nursing of the kids will cause her to make her own oxytocin, once they get strong enough to really get at her teats and suck well. It ought to be sometime within 24 hours. If not you may have to give her a shot from the vet. If you are milking her, then milk often I guess, really stimulate that udder, to see if she doesn't get a boost to expel it from that.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes and if hanging down and dragging or she is stepping on it then tie it up DON"T Pull on it but you can tie it around a bolt or something to give a little pressure. You should keep Oxy on hand just in case.

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

It's gone today ! :biggrin

One doeling that was a tad froggish is up and the other 2 kids doing great AND.... at 4am the other in labor doe kidded with a hugh buckling and 1 reg 9 pound buckling :shocked sooo hope I am done for awhile ..... I have a sm. herd of baby Boer kid's now .

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well congrats on you instant herd :)

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

For Future reference....

With retained placentas you can give a 2cc shot of Lute (to keep the cervix open) and either use oxytocin at 1/4cc-1/2cc several times a day or stimulate (to release her own oxytocin) the doe by milking her.

Any placentas held for more than 24hrs. definately needs a uterine flush (IN THE UTERUS-not vaginally) with antibiotics to prevent infections and problems breeding in the fall.
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And....why not just stick your hand inside to make sure she is truly only passing placenta. So now she has shut her cervic and what was left behind? A kid, another placenta? I am just not a good guesser so I prefer to do pelvics when my does are through so I know. Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat
    Do the above 1st, then follow up with drugs. That way you KEEP having healthy does who will rebreed without problems, give you kids year after year and milk to their potential.
    Kaye

11. I remember how cute those white little red-headed kids are. Awwwwww. Congratulations. I'm like Vicki, I like to do a pelvic on the doe if I can just to make sure she's cleaned out. Most likely she is, but you can be positive if you check her.

12. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:blush I should have done a hand check but I didnt , she seems fine so far ,tail is mostly clean with a small amount of normal watery maroon looking fluid .