hair falling out BIGTIME!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have never had this happen before.

This is the old goat.

Her hair had turned course and is falling out like she had chemo.

I am sure it is a deficiency but what?

Also loss of appitite again.

She was fine. What is happening here?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

copper could be she is not able to utilize her minerals how is your water ?? high in iron etc.

3. Corky

Corky New Member

Sondra,
    I don't know about the iron in our water.
    We have never had a problem with it before and I have been giving her red cell every day which is very high in copper.

She also has very very flakey skin.

I know that at her age she can very well have a problem absorbing stuff she did before.

Rats! I think I am going to have to take her to the vet for some blood work. This is really bad.

At least I have a vet that will bolis her without question if she needs the copper.
    He is a good goat vet.

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I am going to say copper also, I have a doe that does this every year when she kids, goes bald, dry rough skin.. I copper bolus her and two weeks to one month later she is the beautiful red she is suppose to be.. and she is a very nice doe..
    Barbara

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Isn't Red Cell an iron based product? Everyone is off of feed here due to the furnace we live in. The hair loss.. have you checked (I mean really checked) for mites? I would bathe her in a baby shampoo with some apple cider vinegar thrown in.. will help get rid of mites and add some condition to her coat..
    Sorry, but that's about all I can think of. :?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Zinc and vit A is also what I was thinking. If you have been giving red cell for all this time you could be running into the other extreme of giving too much iron. Iron is not something that most goats need to have as a supplement as all the iron they need is present in the soils and food they already have. Excess iron depresses immune function and inhibits the absorption of other minerals zinc included. If given enough copper they will absorb enough iron from their food and supplements.

8. Corky

Corky New Member

She has had a bath with baby shampoo and vinagar and for good measure I put some Skin-so-soft in water and squirted it on her at the end and now the poor thing looks soak and wet all the time.

I had some A & D and gave her a shot of that.

She is staying away from the herd. They have all been at the barn for a while and she did not come in from pasture.

I went looking for her and she was slowly comming up the path. Stopping at every tree to rub herself.

She looks bloated all the time.

I really think she is just shutting down from old age.

I think her kidneys are failing her now.

I took her to the water bucket but she wouldn't drink.

I think her time is very near.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH Corky I hope your wrong but guess we all have to let go at some point and accept the inevitable But maybe she is just like me slowing down but not ready to go just yet.

10. Corky

Corky New Member

Well I hope I am wrong but it seems it is all happening really fast.

My Friend that has been in goats forever say her just last week ans said the looked just awesome for a goat so old.
    Now this week she seems to just be falling apart all at once.

Also my two barn cats that are the same age are loosing all their hair and are skin and bones too.

I guess I will be burying them all around the same time.
    So sad but part of life. I am glad they are here at the only home they know.

11. shawhee

shawhee Member

Corky, How old is she? I looked through the posts but did not see that information. I am just curious....

Shawna

12. Corky

Corky New Member

Shawna,
    She is 13.
    I told the vet about her hair and he did not agree that it was a deficency as he said he had seen my herd recently and they are all healthy and shiney and he can't see how just one goat would be having these deficencys.

I love him to peaces but we do not always agree and I don't agree with him this time.

He thinks she is just shutting down and I will agree that is likely because it happened so quickly but I also think that at her age she is not able to absorb vitamins and minerals like the younger goats.

The fact that I do not see her drink water and she waddles from being bloated lets me know she is shutting down but I want to do all I can for her anyway.

I put her in with the donkey and alpacas today.
    She and the donkey are Sisters and I know she wants to spend her last days with her and not be pushed around by the other goats.

13. Leo

Leo New Member

Hugs,
    Megan

14. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ah, I am so sorry