Had to put my favorite down (lab results)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mysacrificenubians, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

I had one of my goats put down yesterday because she had a mass in her udder. She was 16 months old. Freshened May 27 with triplets.

We first noticed the left side of her udder was swelling last July (she was 5 months old). I posted about it on the other board. (Was oldmcdonaldsfarm then) Then it was about the size of a golfball. Took her to the vet, they couldn't get a sample out of it, but she was put on Naxcel, banamine and lutelyse. Vet thought it may have something to do with her hormones because she was just starting to cycle. It didn't go away so took her back to the vet several weeks later. This time they did get a sample to send off to the lab and ran sensitivities but nothing turned up. Went ahead and had her tested for CAE and CL which came back negative. We all thought it was a precocious udder and just left it be. Had her bred and it really started growing.

Beginning of May took her back to the vet and had everything tested again. Nothing again. Kidded May 27th with no problems. Triplets in 40 minutes. Was milking about 7 lbs. a day even with the odd udder. It felt like the milk had to come down around this mass and fill the teat. It took quite a while to milk her. By this time it was about the size of a football.

She had never been sick a day in her life. Never had a fever, although she always ran at the high end of normal.(She was a black goat).

When the vet opened the udder up it was like I felt.. the milk had to go around this mass and drain into the teat. It was a huge granulotoumas (SP?) mass that was very dense at the bottom of the udder but went all the way up. Her comments were that it could be really anything. Infection, injury, or hereditery. She asked if any of her mothers other daughters had anything like it and I told her that I thought this goat was her first daughter. I guess and hope that we will find out what it was when the lab results come back.

2. Re: Had to put my favorite down

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please post & tell us the results, when you get them back. This is just terrible.
    susie, mo ozarks

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Re: Had to put my favorite down

:sniffle So sorry for your loss and we all know you did all you could for her...its still a Great loss when something like this happens....it just dont make any sense...so Sorry again..

4. Belle

Belle New Member

So sorry for your loss. :(

5. Terry

Terry Member

Sorry for your loss.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Darn that is too bad, but know it is best for her.

7. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Sorry for your loss.

8. mysacrificenubians

Thank you all for your support. It was a hard decision but I knew it had to be done. I had offers from others to take her and even others try to talk me out of it, but I knew that wasn't the answer. I didn't want her to become a problem at someone else's place. She'd most likely get mastitis frequently and that this udder would only be problem after problem. Who knows how big this mass would have gotten. She needed to be culled. Plus I needed to at least learn something from this.

9. susie

susie New Member

Hugs-- I'm sure it was a wrenching decision. Sorry for the loss of your special girl.

Susie

10. Truly

Truly New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I too am interested in the lab results.

I really can empathize as I too had to put down a wonderful doe not long ago. :down

11. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I'm sorry.

Leslie

12. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I'm so sorry that happened.

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

:(

14. Re: Had to put my favorite down

Im sorry you had to put her down. :(

15. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Just getting started here, but feel your pain. Best of luck with the rest of your herd!

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get an answer. It's always hard to lose an animal, but it's a little easier if you can figure out why.

17. susie

susie New Member

Kathleen-
    Were you able to learn what the lump was ?

Susie

18. mysacrificenubians

Haven't heard anything yet. Called her this AM and left a message and my 16 yo DD is going over there today to help them bale hay. Think I'm going to call the lab and see if they can tell me anything.

19. mysacrificenubians

Got the results back. They may as well be writing in Chinese or something!! But anyway here goes. Maybe someone can translate it into simple english for me! I'm calling my vet later to see if she can break it down for me.

Diagnoses: Benign mammary adenoma

The subcutis contains a discrete, non-encapsulated neoplastic mass composed of acini, tubules, and nests of epithelial cells supported by a mixture of fibrovascular stroma and myoepithelial proliferation. The coboidal to columnar cells have disctinct borders, small amounts of pale cytoplasm, round to ovid hyperchromatic nucleoli, small nucleoli and infrequent mitoses.

20. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

a benign tumor from a gland with interesting growth.