had my first kid!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by heather, Mar 19, 2008.

1. heather

heather New Member

my saneen had a doeling last night, all on her own. both look good, but mom is hard on one side , kid is nursing the other. what should i do, was hoping too milk when she wsa weened.

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Put the kid on the hard side several times a day. You may have to hold her and stick the teat in her mouth. Milk it out, too.

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

If your saanen is a good milker as they are supposed to be, your gonna have to milk her at least once a day, that one doeling may not be able to keep up with her supply at all, at least for the first 3 days.

4. Congrats!! :D I agree with the others on milking her.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

If this were my doe I would take some of her colostrum and put it in a clean small container and send it to Pan American Vet Labs in Hutto, Tx. (address and website is in Goat Keeping 101) and have it tested for CAE and/or you can pull blood on the doe and send it in to have it tested for CAE and CL. It could be that this side of her udder is just congested, but it could mean she has CAE. If this is the case and the kid has nursed then she will become infected with CAE also. So for your own peace of mind I would have this doe tested. If it is clear then you could be dealing with a congested udder wherein you can use warm clothes on it and massage and keep it milked out. It could be mastitis in that side of the udder also so you would need to treat her for mastitis. What does the milk look like that is coming out of that side? Are you getting anything out of that teat? Does it look like clumpy cheeze whiz?

6. Corky

Corky New Member

My Togg/Alpine is feeding one doeling and I have to milk her twice a day.
    She gives me two and a half quarts in the am and if I milked her our it would be more but while I am milking the kid comes in and gets breakfast from the side away from me and I let her have it. Then if she will let me I take what ever is left.

I get about a quart in the evening but the doeling is full.

She would pop if I did not milk her.

I only milk one teet on the other doe in the morning. She is nursing twins and they come into the milk room for feed and steal the milk from the teet on the side away from me also.
    She does not need milked in the PM. The twins take care of it and I do NOT like her milk so it is OK.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep milk her out use warm compresses massage and milk her.

8. heather

heather New Member

she has no milk coming out at all. have massaged with warm wash clothes and still nothing hte kid tries to nurse, butts it with her head and then moves over to the other teet. injected some TODAY in there on wednesday. still nothing coming out. what is CAE? could my local vet run the blood test? i have never drawn blood before. i just started this goat thing about a year ago and i've only had my saanen since september

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Here is an article explaining CAE http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cae/cae-waddl.shtml CAE can cause the udder to do like you have described or it could be mastitis in that side. Did the previous owner tell you she tested her goats for CAE?
    I believe there is an article in Goat Keeping 101 on how to draw blood, with pictures showing you how. It isn't hard to do. It could be expensive if you have the vet do it. Have someone hold the goat for you. You just hold off the vein in the neck and take a regular 3cc syringe and needle and suck up about 2ccs of blood from the vein. Then stick it in a red top tube. If you need a red top tube send me your mailing address via PM or email me and I'll send you one.

10. heather

heather New Member

the previous owner just fed her oats and had her tied for brush control. he said that she had milk before but never has kidded before, how is that possible. i'm not sure i'm up to all of this. i jsut wanted a simple group of goats and milk them. ugh.....both mom and kid seem fine, maybe i should jsut pray and relax and let God be in control....................Heather Wright Sweet HOme, ORegon

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Problem with that Heather is that if it is mastitis she could die if it is CAE then she may have a long life but only one side of the udder that will work.

12. heather

heather New Member

your right i'm very tired and i get down. so if it's mastitis what shoudl i look for. her temp is 102.3, she's eating drinking, pooping fine, accepting the kid fine, not moody, very loving and protective. she lets me massage the utter and squeeze the nipple. so what now.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would get her tested for cae.

can you get anything at all from the teat ? If so then send it in and find out for sure if it is mastitis and if and what drugs will work on it.

You also said she milked before but never had kids. So evidently she is one of those goats that had a precosious udder (having milk without being serviced) This is not too rare in some lines.