Gruyere ???

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Little Moon, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Does anyone on here make this? I am not ready to take on this type of cheese yet - it is a bit beyond my expertise. However it is DH's favorite and he wants me to make some when I can. I did a search and it says it is make from raw cows milk. Can it be made with goat milk? Or at least a comparable GM cheese? I know there are some real purist when it comes to any art form - and I do consider cheesemaking an art form - and an evolution. Any how I would appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thanks,
    Anne

2. Leo

Leo New Member

I haven't made it yet but it's high on my list! I only have goats so that's what I'll make it with, the flavor might be a little different and I'll probably add some calcium chloride to tighten up the curds, otherwise I'd say go for it! Then come back here and tell us how'd it go. :D
    Megan

3. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I did see tha Hoegger's has some culture that is used in making Gruyere so it is on my wish list. I will get wild and crazy and try it and let you know how it turns out. It will be a bit tho.

Anne

4. Leo

Leo New Member

Good things are worth the wait. :D The first two weeks seem to go by fast, than once it's aged there's the big debate, cut it now and sample or age it longer. :D
    Megan