Growth on Teat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Apr 25, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I have a third freshener Saanen that when she kidded had a hard udder. Did the warm compresses, massaging, peppermint oil rubs, vaccinated with Lysigin. Her udder got softer as was milked more and started producing more milk than after kidding. Now she get very lumpy (brainy) udder when full of milk and doesn't produce as much milk as last year or as I think she should. Udder does not completely get soft after milked out. Plus on one teat she has developed a tumor (for lack of better word) that is under the skin and coming down from where the teat meets the udder about an inch long. I can feel it and it is hard. It does not effect the milk flow from that teat. Now I'm noticing something similar growing on the other teat. It is very minimal right now but I have seen growth in it the last couple of milkings. What the heck is this? The first teat mentioned looks like another teat is trying to grow on the side of the original teat except it is hard. :/

Any help would be greatly apprieciated. :help

Vicki in NC

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

This is going to sound ridiculous but...a judge told me this on one of my does. The milk leaks through the canal into the tissue around the canal to the orifice. To cure it....and no I didn't do it, I left it alone....take a TB syringe and needle and withdraw the milk. I figured it was better to leave this alone rather than start penetrating the teat. As she got later into her lactation it went away.

The little knot felt like it had a passage back into the teat canal. The knot bulged when the doe was let go over 12 hrs. between milkings. Sound familiar?
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kaye it's exactly what nubians get, the more and more you go after that excellent skin, viening ears, the more udder problems you will have with blowouts like this. Vicki

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Kaye,

Yes, sounds very familiar. Thanks for the explanation. Now any advice on the brainy udder?

Vicki in NC

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Is she CAE neg? And did she get fat on her during her dry period?

:blush One of my show does got a little "plump" during the dry period and since she's freshened her udder has some fat in it. She's a 4th freshener and she does this every spring until she gets some of the dry period fat milked off. Usually by 3-4 months fresh. The udder looses the soft spongy feel and then will milk down to soft tissue.
    Kaye

6. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

This sounds exactly like a problem I am having with one of my girls, a 2nd Fredshener with twins, dam raising....Do you all think I should drain it????She is one of my better show does...I certainly don't want her to go into the ring like this. BTW, Not the lumpy udder, just the teat tumor thing. This did not happen at all last year.

Thanks,

Paula

7. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Vicki, can I get rid of this? Also, can I show her with this? My 2nd freshener has this on her one teat.

Thanks,paula

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you drain it, it's just going to come back with milk in it. First time she gets 12 hrs. of milk in the udder it's going to form the bump again. The quick fix was just for the showring. And I'm not messing with it. Everytime you stick a needle anywhere on a udder you're risking infection.

I show mine with the bump. Didn't bother 4 judges this past weekend...so it's up to you if you want to take the chance.
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And behind Kayes back they whisper about the extra teat, because they are new :) Course they have a good look of it because they are standing behind her in the ring :)

Most judges know exactly what these are and if they question you, you raise and eyebrow as you explain with the "I thought you would know" look :) Can you snap a photo? Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:laughcry Very funny,Vicki!!
    Kaye

11. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I'll post photos in a bit....Just waiting on my son to DL them.

Thanks,
    Paula

12. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you go, any and all opinions welcomed.

Paula

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I have this on a LaMancha heavy heavy milker and I leave it alone. It isn't a growth per say.

14. This looks nothing like the 3rd teat on the doeling I bought. It just sort of looks like a weak place in the side of the teat. If it doesn't interfere with milking, I'd leave it alone.

15. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Doesn't interfere at all.

Thanks,
    Paula

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

That's exactly what the one on mine looks like. Mine is a bit smaller but not much. And I LEAVE it alone. It's a weak spot in the teat canal and it's not a growth.
    Kaye